Editing jOrgan MIDI Files

I have found that it is possible to edit without restriction all the note-on and note-off events in a jOrgan MIDI file (but not any other details), by firstly making a standard MIDI file from it and doing the actual editing there. To do this, set up a jOrgan disposition which you will use for this purpose. I suggest you firstly copy the disposition file you choose to the Desktop, and give it a name which includes the word "SEND". Delete the Fluidsynth element and create a Generic Sound element in its place. In these instructions I will refer to MIDI Yoke, but any virtual MIDI cable installed in your computer can be used. Under Properties for Generic Sound, set its Output to MIDI Yoke: 1. Do the same for the Connector Properties. In each case leave the Input Property blank (this will avoid any MIDI feedback issues). You will need to add the various References for the Generic Sound element, including all the Ranks in the disposition. Save to an appropriate location when finished.

Sekaiju 5.0 is recommended as an Open Source MIDI EDitor, as it is one of the few editors I found which will record the tracks from jOrgan separately. Aso, it is free. It downloads as a zip file, and after extracting it, in order to avoid Windows Permission problems you should place the folder in some suitable location other than in C:\, or in Program Files, or in Program Files (x86). Consult the README for instructions on setting it up so that you get the English version (Hint: open Sekaiju.ini and at the bottom of that file change "Japanese" to "English" and then save. That's all!)

Set the MIDI Input Port 01 to MIDI Yoke:1 and the MIDI Output Port 01 to MIDI Yoke:2. However, if when recording from jOrgan you want Sekaiju to sound the notes, set the MIDI Output Port 01 to Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. (When eventually playing the edited file so that you can record it in your jOrgan disposition in order to create the jOrgan MIDI file, the MIDI Output should be set to MIDI Yoke: 2.)

To send the MIDI file details, open the Sekaiju Editor, play the file in the jOrgan "SEND" disposition after loading it into the jOrgan Recorder. You should firstly right-click on the Recorder Console cell at the left, and change it to <none>, and you should make sure that every track which has notes occurring in it has a Department name assigned to it. If it has <none>, you should right-click on this and give it an authentic disposition Department name which is not being used by some other track. At this stage it probably doesn’t matter very much whether you manage to identify the tracks correctly. You should also turn on ONLY one stop per department, otherwise Sekaiju will create quite a number of tracks which will be very confusing. Do not use any couplers.

Before clicking on the jOrgan Recorder Play icon, you should click on the Sekaiju "REC" icon, and when the recording is finished, click on the Sekaiju Play icon (it is used for both Play and Stop). Sekaiju will record what jOrgan sends it showing the separate tracks, and you will need to identify them and enter names (Great, Swell, Pedal) in the Name cells at the far left of the Track List. Avoid Track 1 which is called the "Conductor" track. However, there is no harm in naming it after the jOrgan MIDI file, in some abreviated way. You may not manage to identify the tracks until you look at the detail seen in the Piano Roll Window. To see this, right-click on one of the tracks and select Piano Roll. The Piano Roll Window can be zoomed vertically with the + or - buttons at the bottom right of the Piano Roll (not the extreme bottom right). To the right of those buttons is a Track Selection window. To close the current track, click on its tick, and click on the track you now want to examine or edit. To help you identify the tracks, you may want to assign a different sound to each. Use the "up" arrow of the appropriate Program Number in the Track List to find a suitable sound (organs are 16 to 20).

You will want to zoom the view for more convenient editing. The edit tools are at the left of the Tool Bar: Pen, Line (whatever that is!), and Eraser. Pen is the default, and it is what you will normally use in order to move a note up or down or sideways (place the mouse cursor over the middle of the note, and drag). Place the cursor towards either end and then drag sideways, in order to change the note's length. Use the Eraser to delete a note, but make sure after doing this that you click back on Pen. There may be other editing functions you wish to use, and you may need to consult the Sekaiju Instructions pdf (found in Help). Don't forget to Save the file after editing, and don't forget to write down which folder it is being saved to.

To record in jOrgan, select the disposition you want to use with the piece, and set the Connector Input to MIDI Yoke:2. (The Sekaiju MIDI Output also needs to be to MIDI Yoke:2). You will need to use the Customizer to allocate the appropriate MIDI channel to each department, as designated by Sekaiju. Choose the stops you want to be part of the finished jOrgan MIDI file. Any expression changes and stop changes will need to be added while the recording is being made. If you make a mistake, you can always replay and record until you get it right. To make the recording, open the jOrgan Recorder. Click on Record and without delay, start Sekaiju playing the edited file.

I might add that I have found the editing a bit easier if instead of using the Microsoft GS Wavetable sounds and Sekaiju while doing this, I actually use the sounds of the intended jOrgan disposition, with the disposition set up as in the previous paragraph (but of course without doing any recording). Also, the Sekaiju MIDI Output is set to MIDI Yoke:2.

It is to be hoped that I have managed to include enough details above, but we shall only know if someone tries to follow them, and for some reason comes to a dead stop, and seeks help.

Re: Editing jOrgan MIDI Files

Aaron Laws
On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 3:15 AM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

[...]

jOrgan "SEND" disposition. You should firstly right-click on the Recorder
Console cell at the left, and change it to <none>. You should also turn on
[...]

John Reimer

I sure wish we had a wiki where you could put valuable tutorials like this! :-/

Re: Editing jOrgan MIDI Files

John R., regarding your MIDI SEND disposition with Generic Sound for
purposes of editing the jOrgan-produced MIDI file, what is the "input" for
the Keyboard Elements, given the options of
jOrgan MIDI Merger, jOrgan Midi Logger, jOrgan MIDI NULL,  Loopbe Virtual
Midi Cable, and Real Time Sequencer?  I am not getting any MIDI data output
from jOrgan on recorder playback of
the jOrgan Midi file to input, via Virtual Midi Cable (Loopbe1), to my MIDI
sequencer program which is supposed to record that output.  My sequencer
program settings are correct, Input=Loopbe Virtual Midi Cable and "Recording
is activated" in the sequencer program.  The port settings are correct.

The two Midi activity indicators on the bottom left of the main jOrgan
window show no MIDI activity (output) at all.  I have no trouble inputting a
Midi file from the sequencer program to the jOrgan Recorder (the inverse
procedure of what I am attempting to do as per your instructions.)  So I am
assuming that no keyboard (midi note-on/note-off messages) output is
detected.

The "Monitor" function in jOrgan shows no activity at all on playback of
your Interlude 47 (JReimer Midi files).  I have tried different input
settings for the keyboards, excluding the Virtual MIDI cable (of course!).

Re: Editing jOrgan MIDI Files

Aaron Laws wrote
I sure wish we had a wiki where you could put valuable tutorials like this! :-/
Aaron,

Have you discussed this matter with BCA by email?

Re: Editing jOrgan MIDI Files

jbeach2646 wrote
I am not getting any MIDI data output from jOrgan on recorder playback of
the jOrgan Midi file to input, via Virtual Midi Cable (Loopbe1), to my MIDI sequencer program which is supposed to record that output.
JohnB,

In working out this method of “editing” jOrgan MIDI files, I occasionally would fail to send an output from jOrgan, as confirmed by the jOrgan Monitor. I found that this would occur under the following circumstances:
1) I had failed to activate stops (only one per department) before trying to send.
2) I had failed to include “MIDI Yoke:1” in either the GENERIC SOUND Output or the Connector Output. It has to be in both.

I have never in using jOrgan done anything about the Input cell for Keyboards. I believe that the Customizer covers that. However, your experience suggests to me that there may be a third reason why there has been no output. It may be that in the disposition you are using, the “Note Played” MPL message for the ranks may be “set velocity” rather than, for example, “set 100”.  This may explain why you have had no output. I noticed that Sekaiju had a velocity of “100” when I used it, and when I checked the jOrgan disposition, I found ranks messages of “set 100”. So this may be the explanation.

Please let us know how you get on after checking out my suggestions.

I should add that in my lengthy instructions I failed to mention that the receiving program in each case has to have its “RECORD” icon clicked before it will record what is being sent to it by the other program, and to end the recording “STOP” should be clicked (in Sekaiju the Play icon does not change to “Stop”, but it is the one to use). I can edit the instructions in the Forum, but I can’t do that for those who use only the mailing list.

Re: Editing jOrgan MIDI Files

jbeach2646
I have followed the instructions and rechecked the outputs of both Generic
Sound and the Connector element.  They are correct, referencing the Virtual
Midi Cable.  I created a small disposition
with one stop per division, three divisions, three MIDI channels, three
stops, one rank, plus jOrgan recorder.  I get no MIDI data activity from the
recorder in jOrgan during playback of a jOrgan-proprietary MIDI file with
output to my MIDI sequencer program, set to input from the Loopbe virtual
MIDI cable.  In my MIDI sequencer program, there are two, green, MIDI
activity lights which
indicate that data is flowing.  The two green lights are not "lit," and so,
I believe there is no MIDI data being transmitted from jOrgan.

I will have to work on this to see what the problem is.  In comparison, I
believe the connections are valid.

Thanks.

Re: Editing jOrgan MIDI Files

greenfox
Hi John

I don't understand why you need to go to these lengths to create MIDI files you say you can edit?
I thought I was able to edit (note pitch and length) directly opening a jOrgan created MIDI file?
Is there some other aspect you are trying to edit?

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 at 11:17 John Beach <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

greenfox wrote
I don't understand why you need to go to these lengths to create MIDI files you say you can edit?
Rick, My work flowed from a thread back in June. It is more than possible that I am missing something. However, I think the answer to your question is found (rightly or wrongly) in my last post in that thread. I did say that for my purposes I could live with the solution I had at the time. However, as far as I can see, the method could not preserve satisfactorily separate tracks when playing simultaneously on pedals and two manuals, and trying to edit the recording. Here is the link to that earlier thread: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-Recorder-Disposition-Proprietary-Data-channel-td4665006.html I might add that the method I outlined at the start of this current thread allows me not only to edit the three tracks separately, which is very convenient, but also to transpose the piece to another pitch very easily. JohnB alerted me to how that could be done, by referring to one of Paul Stratman's dispositions. I thought my initial post was long enough as it stands, but it is my intention to give details of this further use when it seems right to do so. The method also allows one to convert a jOrgan MIDI file created on an different disposition to the one which is now being used, so that a new fully-functional jOrgan MIDI file is created. I might also say that Anvil Studio allows me to do what Sekaiju does, but only because I bought the appropriate Accessory from them for USD 19. That is the only way that Anvil Studio will record three separate tracks. John Reimer P.S. Nabble initially delivered this post as a single paragraph. This is my second attempt to format it with the various paragraphs.

Re: Editing jOrgan MIDI Files

jbeach2646 wrote
I believe there is no MIDI data being transmitted from jOrgan.
JohnB,

I think your problem is a jOrgan Recorder issue, not actually related to the MIDI editing. I tried to do exactly what you mention, even to the extent of loading the same jOrgan MIDI file. And I could not get any output! Then I noticed at the left of the Recorder window that the notes track had <none> assigned to it. It should have been “Great”. You should check whether this is happening in your case. You should also try to send an output using the jOrgan virtual keyboard instead of the Recorder, to see if the jOrgan Monitor shows it. It is still the case that the Console track should have <none>.

I then investigated with a couple of “SEND” dispositions that I have, and I found inconsistent results as to whether on loading a file, the jOrgan Recorder assigned Department names to all the tracks with note-on and note-off events. So my instructions should include checking this detail.

By the way, I discovered that in the SEND disposition, the only references needed by GENERIC SOUND are the References FROM the ranks being used, along with the Group  reference.

Thank you for trying out my instructions. This is the only way we can eliminate possible traps for users.

Re: Editing jOrgan MIDI Files

This post is intended for those people who use only the mailing list. Today I have made two additions to my instructions. I believe that I have already indicated the first of those additions. Here is the text of the second, which has been added to the fourth paragraph of the instructions:

"You should make sure that every track which has notes occurring in it has a Department name assigned to it. If it has <none>, you should right-click on this and give it an authentic disposition Department name which is not being used by some other track. At this stage it probably doesn’t matter very much whether you manage to identify the tracks correctly."

Re: Editing jOrgan MIDI Files

jbeach2646
What we need to ensure is that every .mid file that is produced by ANY
jOrgan disposition has the (visible) note-on/note-off messages for the
tracks, manuals and pedal, which are used in
ANY disposition.  That is that, with the exception of the
disposition-proprietary metadata (number of divisions, specific stops and
those used, couplers, combination settings, etc.), the minimal
data )note-on/note-off) which makes a .mid file a .mid file (SMF=standard
MIDI file) should be visible in any MIDI sequencer program.  This will, at
least, allow for the playback of the file in a MIDI sequencer program
inputting to jOrgan recorder using the stops which are available in any
division (having or using the same Channel Number)  of any disposition.
Were it not for this fundamental aspect of MIDI, (a musical instrument plays
notes) there would, literally, be no point or purpose for the specification,
in the first place.   Indeed, jOrgan recorder's dropdown window, on "Open,"
to search for a Midi file to playback, specifies "MIDI FILE" with respect to
file type.

A jOrgan, disposition-produced MIDI (.mid) file should ALWAYS show the
note-on/note-off messages.  We all know that the proprietary metadata of
each individual disposition is what makes
it unique to jOrgan and, therefore, can not be interpreted by a regular,
MIDI sequencer program.

Re: Editing jOrgan MIDI Files

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 5:10 PM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aaron Laws wrote
> I sure wish we had a wiki where you could put valuable tutorials like
> this! :-/

Aaron,

Have you discussed this matter with BCA by email?

John Reimer

He didn't respond. I am still very curious about why Sourceforge would have removed our Wiki. They host wikis; that's one of the things they do. If I were to create one, that's where I would go at this point.

BCA

Re: Editing jOrgan MIDI Files

BCA
Administrator
Hello Aaron,

1.) I didn't receive any mail from you regarding a Wiki account.

2.) Sourceforge didn't remove the jOrgan Wiki. They removed ALL wikis based on MediaWiki, blackmailing the users of the sourceforge platform to use their own Wiki form instead of the formerly offered Mediawiki. It were ten thousands, perhaps hundredths of thousands of wikis which were offended. Regretfully, sourceforge did not offer any conversion tool, so all that people had to choose to move their wikis out, or to lose it.
all the best,
BCA

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 4:04 AM, BCA <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Aaron,

1.) I didn't receive any mail from you regarding a Wiki account.

2.) Sourceforge didn't remove the jOrgan Wiki. They removed ALL wikis based
on MediaWiki, blackmailing the users of the sourceforge platform to use
their own Wiki form instead of the formerly offered Mediawiki. It were ten
thousands, perhaps hundredths of thousands of wikis which were offended.
Regretfully, sourceforge did not offer any conversion tool, so all that
people had to choose to move their wikis out, or to lose it.

-----
all the best,
BCA

Thank you for the response. My goodness, the carnage! It looks like there was a way to import: https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/7947/ that Sven found, but perhaps it didn't work for us. Either way, it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Re: Editing jOrgan MIDI Files

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 4:04 AM, BCA <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Aaron,

1.) I didn't receive any mail from you regarding a Wiki account.

I confirmed BCA's note: I didn't contact him. I asked a particular agent on the list for his contact information but didn't hear back from *him*! My apologies for misrepresenting the situation.