Drawbar skin

I've noticed that using Paul's Drawbar disposition, the drawbars have a certain behaviour, which I did not quite expect.  I expected each drawbar to have 9 'levels' - from off to 8, as this is what is shown on the screen.  But this is not what I hear.  There appears to be an infinite setting to each drawbar, so while you think you have completely 'switched off' a drawbar, it does in fact still produce sound.  I think this is also true for the settings between the numbers, for example between 1 and 2, or 2 and 3, etc.  It is not really a problem, other than that is causes some confusion in my disposition when I think I have switched off all the stops and drawbars, when in fact, some of the drawbars are still producing sound.

Would it be possible or even worth while to put half steps into the skin, so that instead of having just 9 positions for the drawbar, there could be 17 steps (if we add a half position between each exising adjacent pair of positions?)

Re: Drawbar skin

drwilx
Hi Brian,

I would vote to keep it the way it is. Presently it closely resembles the actual draw bar use on a B3. To change it to half steps would defeat this realism.

Re: Drawbar skin

I have no B3 experience.  My 1968 Hammond E100 drawbars do 'click' on the numbers, but they can just as easily be in the half positions as well, with no problems.

Re: Drawbar skin

Dries
Hi Brian,

It would be possible to have a 18-step slider instead of the continuous slider (actually 127 steps)

Instead of directly using a Continuous Filter you have to use 18 Switch Filters controlled by a Regulator. The switch filters need to have an increasing value in the message in steps of 7, the first a value of 0, the last a value of 127.

To complete you need in the skin file a slider with 18 layers.
Maybe this is already the case.

Best regards,
Dries
Dries Nelemans - Ridderkerk, The Netherlands

Re: Drawbar skin

We could add a "round" command to MPL, that would be much easier:

   set 176, set 1, set value | mult 7 | round | div  7

On 07/24/2014 10:38 PM, Dries wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> It would be possible to have a 18-step slider instead of the continuous
> slider (actually 127 steps)
>
> Instead of directly using a Continuous Filter you have to use 18 Switch
> Filters controlled by a Regulator. The switch filters need to have an
> increasing value in the message in steps of 7, the first a value of 0, the
> last a value of 127.
>
> To complete you need in the skin file a slider with 18 layers.
> Maybe this is already the case.
>
> Best regards,
> Dries
>

> -----
> Dries Nelemans - Ridderkerk, The Netherlands

Re: Drawbar skin

Dries
That's much easier indeed.
Didn't knew about this round function
Br, Dries
Dries Nelemans - Ridderkerk, The Netherlands

Re: Drawbar skin

Not so fast - I'll add it to the *next* jOrgan version.