Quantcast

Distributed Disposition

BrianS
Does anybody have a distributed disposition, that I may study?  With the available documentation, I am getting absolutely nowhere in trying to create such a disposition spread over 2 computers.

It does not help that I sit at the desk all day, and am not able to get pas sending just note on and off messages acros the lan.

I know how to create a working disposition, as I have created a few in the past.

Re: Distributed Disposition

jbeach2646
Brian,  you might try Paul Stratman's ACO at
https://stratmaninstruments.joomla.com/   .  My reasoning for this is that
the disposition has additional, optional console windows for the separate,
Left and Right Stop Jambs already built in.  So, placement on the Left and
Right RasbPis would be easy.  Also, the soundfont is a single soundfont
which facilitates its setup.  Also, it comes with additional smaller organ
dispositions with less stops than the largest which has over 100 stops.
Do your LAN connections use RJ-45 telephone connectors with 3 or 4- wire
(color-coded)  telephone cable or something else?   Actually, the fact is
that, for the most part, it is simply the "sending of just note-on and off
messages across the LAN" which is important.  You might want to try a
Fluidsynth Soundfont-based disposition, first, and then, if you still need
to have the Generic Sound source for external General MIDI instrument sound
input to a disposition, work on that later.   That is the more complicated
issue since it involves the creation of a disposition and the importation of
either a patch list or soundbank and a return MIDI-OUT from the RaspPi  to
MIDI-IN on the external MIDI Keyboard in order to play the internal sounds
of the keyboard while having them listed as stops in a jOrgan disposition.
Theoretically and practically, you need MIDI-OUT from the MIDI Keyboard to
Two MIDI-IN, one to one RaspPi and another to the other RaspPi.  With
dedicated MIDI cables, this is done by "daisy-chaining," simply one MIDI
cable, male connector on one end and female connector on the other end,
going from one RaspPi to the other.  If LAN does the same thing, one LAN
cable connection between the two RASP Pis, seemingly, there should be no
problem with latency.  USB should work also, but, again, I have no
experience using USB to connect two PCs or RaspPis.  If or since the MIDI
Keyboard has either MIDI IN/MIDI OUT socket connectors or a USB connector,
it should be fairly simple to do, if you have the cables.
I did some experimenting and I only get a jOrgan LAN 1 #1 and jOrgan LAN 2

Re: Distributed Disposition

BrianS
Thank you again John, for trying to help me, and to give advice.

I have tried that, but I have in all honesty hit a brick wall.

I have started with the 2M+P ACO of Paul's, and got nothing done.  I started from scratch on both PI's, and the same thing.

I will leave this for a while, as it is extremely frustrating when you get nothing accomplished.  I will look at it another day.  For the moment, my new project will have only one Raspberry Pi.

Re: Distributed Disposition

Hi Brian,

So, you're wanted to have a 'Main' jorgan with Touch screen and all
the MIDI connections to send to a secondary jOrgan (sub1) running on a
different device through jOrgan LAN. You have to think about how
you're sending all the signals from the one jOrgan to control the
other.

>From what you've indicated so far, you've configured things for
sending Keyboard->Rank->Stop->GenericMIDI->LAN nn ------------- LAN nn
-> Keyboard etc

And now you're struggling with how to send the Stop controls.

Stops respond to and send MIDI message via the Console Connector. In
order for them to send and receive MIDI they have to be configured
with Activate/Activated and Deactivate/Deactived MIDI messages for
each Stop control.

So in the Main disposition you have to set the Console Connector MIDI
Output to LAN nn. Then ADD Activated/Deactivated elements to each Stop
and configure them. For example: Activated : set 144, set 1, set 127 |
 Deactivated set 144, set 1, set 0 . This will send a MIDI message out
via LAN nn when the Stop is turned On or Off (in this case MIDI
channel 1 MIDI Note on for Note 1 when ON and MIDI channel 1 MIDI Note
off for Note 1 when OFF).

On the other device you have to set the Console Connector MIDI Input
to LAN nn. Then ADD Activate/Deactivate elements to each Stop and
configure them. For example: Activate: equal 144, equal 1, equal 127 |
 Deactivate equal 144, equal 1, equal 0 . This will receive the MIDI
message in via LAN nn when the Stop is turned On or Off. You could
also use the Autosense the configure this input.

Do this for each Stop element on both devices.