Device selection problem

RoyR
Hi, Everyone,

                   Could anyone explain a (To me!) rather strange situation?

   I have 4 MIDI keyboards connected to a USB hub. Windows XP in its infinite wisdom has christened them USB, USB2, USB3, USB4. If I open midimerge via the jOrgan view menu, it displays this list plus a few other bits and pieces. Having checked all the USBs in midimerge, if I go into build mode, and set the device for each keyboard to midimerge, everything works just as you might expect.... BUT...

   The same group of USBs are offered in the device selection for each keyboard. If I ignore midimerge, and use the devices directly, nothing works... Not even after using channel select to get the 'waiting for signal' message, the keyboards are completely dead! I tried UNcheching them in midimerge, in case they couldn't be seen in two places at once. Seemed a bit unlikely, and indeed, it didn't work!

    It seems completely illogical. The USBs are obviously recognised by the computer, and by jOrgan, but the direct selection doesn't work???

    Not a fatal problem, of course, the system works fine under midimerge, but it's a bit of a tease!

    Any ideas?

Re: Device selection problem

Jim Pinder

Roy - this is why I always say use midi merger. I use the same system, (but I only have three keyboards). If you tick the left hand box on Midi mereger (but leave the right hand box) then the only thing you have to do is (for example) make you swell keyboard play on channel A, great channel B, choir channel C, solo channel D and as long as you physically set the manuals to send on that channel then Midi merger will sort it out and link the right manual to the right "keyboard".

When you try and do it on the "keyboard" element you have to physically identify the correct manual and on USB they are not necessarily in the order 1,2,3,4 from top to bottom (or in fact, from bottom to top) (I was even worse, I was plugging 3 into a four to one usb adaptor so I had one blank as well). Not only that, but having physically identified the correct manual, you then have to set the "keyboard" element to receive the correct channel, but also set the manual to transmit the correct channel.

The problem is then, when you restart the organ, the USB system might allocate the slots in a different order - LOGIC says it shouldn't, but if it does you are ******.

Unless Sven has altered the midimerger (after he was going to do away with it), you can get the manuals to go directly to the "keyboard" elements and be identified as the "device", but there are so many possible combinations it is hard to do.

If you want to persevere then use the midi decoder on jOrgan to individually check your manuals. Set then to transmit (from top to bottom) on channels 1 to 4. Then go through your usb listed inputs on the midi decoder and see in what order chennels 1,2,3 and 4 are appearing on the usb list. This should identify which manual shows up as what USB number on the input list. Armed with this you can then go to the "keyboard" element and pick the right one.

But I would just stick to midimereger

Jim

Subj: [jOrgan-user] Device selection problem

[...]

Tiscali Broadband only £9.99 a month for your first 3 months! http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/

Re: Device selection problem

Hi Roy,

that's really strange. The midimerger nothing different from a setup
where a device is selected directly.

When you're using the channel select ('waiting for signal'), is a
channel selected when you press a key on your keyboard? Or does the
dialog stay open waiting for a channel identifying message for ever?

Sven

Roy Radford wrote:

> Hi, Everyone,
>
>                    Could anyone explain a (To me!) rather strange
> situation?
>
>    I have 4 MIDI keyboards connected to a USB hub. Windows XP in its
> infinite wisdom has christened them USB, USB2, USB3, USB4. If I open
> midimerge via the jOrgan view menu, it displays this list plus a few
> other bits and pieces. Having checked all the USBs in midimerge, if I
> go into build mode, and set the device for each keyboard to midimerge,
> everything works just as you might expect.... BUT...
>
>    The same group of USBs are offered in the device selection for each
> keyboard. If I ignore midimerge, and use the devices directly, nothing
> works... Not even after using channel select to get the 'waiting for
> signal' message, the keyboards are completely dead! I tried UNcheching
> them in midimerge, in case they couldn't be seen in two places at
> once. Seemed a bit unlikely, and indeed, it didn't work!
>
>     It seems completely illogical. The USBs are obviously recognised
> by the computer, and by jOrgan, but the direct selection doesn't work???
>
>     Not a fatal problem, of course, the system works fine under
> midimerge, but it's a bit of a tease!
>
>     Any ideas?
>
>          Have fun,
>
>              Roy.

> The all-new Yahoo! Mail
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/nowyoucan/free_from_isp/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40565/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html>
> goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet
> provider.

Re: Device selection problem

RoyR
Hi, Sven,

            The dialogue window stays open. The same method of setting the channels works OK via midimerge though!

Roy Radford wrote:

> Hi, Everyone,
>
> Could anyone explain a (To me!) rather strange
> situation?
>
> I have 4 MIDI keyboards connected to a USB hub. Windows XP in its
> infinite wisdom has christened them USB, USB2, USB3, USB4. If I open
> midimerge via the jOrgan view menu, it displays this list plus a few
> other bits and pieces. Having checked all the USBs in midimerge, if I
> go into build mode, and set the device for each keyboard to midimerge,
> everything works just as you might expect.... BUT...
>
> The same group of USBs are offered in the device selection for each
> keyboard. If I ignore midimerge, and use the devices directly, nothing
> works... Not even after using channel select to get the 'waiting for
> signal' message, the keyboards are completely dead! I tried UNcheching
> them in midimerge, in case they couldn't be seen in two places at
> once. Seemed a bit unlikely, and indeed, it didn't work!
>
> It seems completely illogical. The USBs are obviously recognised
> by the computer, and by jOrgan, but the direct selection doesn't work???
>
> Not a fatal problem, of course, the system works fine under
> midimerge, but it's a bit of a tease!
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Have fun,
>
> Roy.

> The all-new Yahoo! Mail
>
> goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet
> provider.

Yahoo! Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing.