Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

It is my sad duty to report the death of another significant member of the jOrgan community. Bruce Miles died peacefully in York Hospital on 14th January, aged 89. I was alerted to this today when a friend here in Sydney rang to say that he had tried to download Bruce’s jOrgan dispositions, only to learn of Bruce’s recent death. As far as I can see, Bruce’s website is still up. In fact I have just downloaded a lot of its material to make sure that it is not lost, so I am not sure what my friend’s problem was.

Bruce’s website was of great help to me when I discovered jOrgan some years ago and struggled to understand how it worked and how to use it. Without his Notes on jOrgan, I don’t think that I would have persevered.

The loss of both Panos and Bruce prompts me to ask Sven along with others to form a working team to ensure the longterm viability of jOrgan, regarding the preservation of its knowledge base and indeed its ongoing development. We are very much in Sven’s debt for this marvelous program and for all his work in creating and developing it, and his generosity in making it available free of charge. While I have no reason to think that he will not continue to be such a great resource for many years to come, it is unreasonable to expect jOrgan to be a “one man show". The need for someone with access to current Mac computers to sort out jOrgan problems there, is a case in point. And if I remember correctly, there was a recent suggestion from Sven that his personal support of further development relevant to all Windows applications cannot be taken for granted.

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

eagles051387
I would like to extend my hosting services to the community if an archive website is desired.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 10 Feb 2016, at 12:04, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> It is my sad duty to report the death of another significant member of the
> jOrgan community. Bruce Miles died peacefully in York Hospital on 14th
> January, aged 89. I was alerted to this today when a friend here in Sydney
> rang to say that he had tried to download Bruce’s jOrgan dispositions, only
> to learn of Bruce’s recent death. As far as I can see, Bruce’s website is
> still up. In fact I have just downloaded a lot of its material to make sure
> that it is not lost, so I am not sure what my friend’s problem was.
>
> Bruce’s website was of great help to me when I discovered jOrgan some years
> ago and struggled to understand how it worked and how to use it. Without his
> Notes on jOrgan, I don’t think that I would have persevered.
>
> The loss of both Panos and Bruce prompts me to ask Sven along with others to
> form a working team to ensure the longterm viability of jOrgan, regarding
> the preservation of its knowledge base and indeed its ongoing development.
> We are very much in Sven’s debt for this marvelous program and for all his
> work in creating and developing it, and his generosity in making it
> available free of charge. While I have no reason to think that he will not
> continue to be such a great resource for many years to come, it is
> unreasonable to expect jOrgan to be a “one man show". The need for someone
> with access to current Mac computers to sort out jOrgan problems there, is a
> case in point. And if I remember correctly, there was a recent suggestion
> from Sven that his personal support of further development relevant to all
> Windows applications cannot be taken for granted.
>
> John Reimer

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

Dr Mark Bugeja MD
Very sad news indeed. Condolences to his family.

Another great friend lost. His inspiration and advice will hopefully be preserved in our memory and through his contributions which I hope you, John, will be able to preserve through Wiki.

May he rest in peace in God's loving embrace, Amen.

Mark

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

Andrew Larkham
Sad news indeed.
It was Bruce's wonderful notes on jOrgan (V2.3 was it?)  that enabled me to get the programme up and running - with very few problems - and to understand how dispositions worked.

A great loss....

Andy

[...]

Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

Sorry to hear of this news. A sad loss.

I also attribute the majority of my jOrgan accomplishment to Bruce Miles. Both his build notes and soundfonts.

Bruce was a trailblazer in the virtual organ world. I still believe his synthesised soundfonts are the best most compact organ soundfonts available.

I had a couple of interesting email conversations with Bruce a number of years ago. He was always interested and helpful.

Rick Whatson.

On 10 Feb 2016 9:30 pm, "John Reimer" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

[...]

Paul Stratman-2
I'm sorry to hear of Bruce Miles' passing. I emailed him for permission a few years ago when I had an English organ that used his soundfont and his responses were always most gracious.

Most of what I know about synthesis I learned from studying his soundfonts.

Everything he did in organ tone synthesis, he did with Klangsynth. As far as I know, he did it all by ear, without a spectrum analyzer (which I am entirely dependent on); so his soundfonts preserve the sonic images of English pipe organ tone and theatre organ tone that were in his mind.

Have a listen to Bruce and his English organ.

http://www.milestones.me.uk/bwv727_eo.mp3
http://www.milestones.me.uk/largo_eo.mp3
http://www.milestones.me.uk/brahms_eo.mp3
BCA

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

BCA

my deepest sympathy to his family.

I've installed a website mirror of the actual state of Bruces' homepage at jorgan home. The mirror is part of the jOrgan Wiki now, and won't vanish if Bruces' own site is gone. There are several links not working; those aren't working at Bruces' place too. He didn't manage most parts of his site for several years anymore.
all the best,
BCA

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

eagles051387 wrote
I would like to extend my hosting services to the community if an archive website is desired.
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you. I earnestly hope that my request for a team structure for the support of jOrgan bears fruit. Perhaps your kind offer will form part of that structure.

Best wishes,

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

BCA wrote
I've installed a website mirror of the actual state of Bruces' homepage at jorgan home. The mirror is part of the jOrgan Wiki now, and won't vanish if Bruces' own site is gone.
Hi BCA,

Thank you for that work. Where is it on the jOrgan Wiki? I've just had a look and failed to find it.

Best wishes,

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

this is sad news :(.

Without Bruce help there would be no jOrgan. His soundfonts triggered my
research into development of virtual church organs.
I always hoped to meet him in real life.

Bruce Miles, thank you so much.
Sven

BCA

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

BCA

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

jbeach2646
Bruce was a testament to the unequalled value of personal experience.

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

BCA,

Thank you for that link. Thank you even more for the work entailed in getting all that into the jOrgan Wiki. It is fitting that Bruce's work should have a permanent place in our records. Its presence in the Wiki may even inspire more people to contribute of their time and effort to maintain and increase the excellence of the jOrgan VPO program.

John Reimer
BCA

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

BCA
Administrator
Thank you John.

Yes.

If it's coming to consciousness of encouraged jOrganists, that the jOrgan Wiki bids place for all jOrgan stuff, for any jOrganist who wants to contribute something - then we have the platform you were dreaming of.
all the best,
BCA

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

BCA wrote
 the jOrgan Wiki bids place for all jOrgan stuff, for any jOrganist who wants to contribute something
BCA,

The jOrgan Wiki is invaluable, both for the information it already contains, and the opportunity it provides for people to lodge new material. We very much appreciate your generosity in hosting it (at least those of us who read the Forum and remember what we read there). However, in some respects the jOrgan Wiki is quite fragile. Much of the information is accessed through links to members’ websites. It is only because Bruce’s website is still up that its contents could be fairly easily preserved on this occasion. If it had not been for my friend’s phone call, we might have been unaware of Bruce’s death for quite some time, by which point his website might have been removed. It seems that in the case of Panos’ website, it became inaccessible almost straight away.

So there is great value in having some member of the jOrgan community whose particular role is to safeguard the maintenance and recoverability of our knowledge base. And I don’t just mean that it is safeguarded on that one person’s website or computer. There has to be adequate backup which is located in more than one physical place and accessible by more than one person. Such responsible care does not happen automatically. That is why I am looking for the creation of a “team” where various roles and tasks can be shared around, and where there is a measure of accountability, so that important or worthwhile matters are not overlooked.

To give a specific and obvious example, is the jOrgan Wiki adequately backed up at the moment, so that not only yourself, but also someone else can retrieve its contents in the event that your website, or your own computer(s), or yourself are suddenly inaccessible?

Best wishes,
John Reimer
BCA

Re: Death of Bruce Miles and some implications

BCA

I agree completely.

Backups are made almost monthly by myself. I can make them available via the jOrgan Wiki. Good idea (a thought still a little schizophrenic, indeed)!

Let me comment some thoughts: (imagine Mr. Spock speaking):

There's not the simplest logical advantage in trusting a global player like "Sourceforge" more, than a private person. Sourceforge can vanish a million software products on button press, as can the private person. There's no way to make this secure. A classical dilemma.

In case of Panos' death, this was simply fate. Nobody could preview this, and his files were hosted on more than dubious places. So we *will* suffer from the loss of members and creative material, also in future.

The gordian knot solution is: *I have decided to carry it*. I've promised to Sven to host it as long as I can. Now we have a point to start from. We still have the lost material in most parts. But we'll always end up at the point where the godlike "super-adminitrator" has to manage the content personally, on a server. He has the power, if we want or not. All those ideas of "objectively, safe and automatic computer handling, without the danger of unreliable people" are illusions.

Just make a convincing better proposal, and we'll do it!

all the best,
BCA