Custom Soundfont and JOrgan

jOrgan - User mailing list
Hi all!

I have been following jOrgan for many years and I am finally beginning a
rather ambitious project of creating a dual purpose instrument for my
church.

We need to have a "portable instrument" that can be utilized throughout our
entire facility - I have suffered through the "MIDI" keyboard trauma too
many times.

The instrument will be 2 manuals and pedal and will use Hauptwerk for the
Organ half but I also need a custom MIDI instrument that would work with our
Praise Band as well.  I would create the soundfont myself and after many
years of trying other types of interfaces - I kept coming back to jOrgan as
being the most versatile and most user friendly.  I realize that most
applications that could realize my situation are all a bit "fussy" and I
really need something that anyone would be able to intuitively use (with a
few introductory lessons) but also be rock solid in the performance and
stability.

I have completed several dispositions years ago without too much difficulty
- so I guess my question to the forum is what is your overall experience
with such an application

Thank you!

Jeffery C. Rowley

-----
Jeffery C. Rowley
Madison, Wisconsin

Re: Custom Soundfont and JOrgan

jOrgan - User mailing list
The beauty of jOrgan is its ability to be whatever you wish it to be. Simply create the MIDI commands and place them on a custom-designed screen.

Although I have designed several consoles using established MIDI organ design, I wish to embark on a touring 5 manual production project, and jOrgan seems to be the ideal architecture, since it enables me to merge the exact MIDI sounds and MIDI triggers of my choice.

In addition to soundfonts, my designing includes some connected MIDI-operated winded pipes and other controls:

piano, orchestra chimes and motorized MIDI-cued devices to blow flags, operate water fountains and lower screens, as well as a connected NSI (tm) brand MIDI lighting board for 16 channels of lights where each key cues a pre-arranged lighting sequence that I have used successfully in dramatic productions.

Although I ran into a computer systems malfunction, it has been in process to solve.

I still believe that jOrgan teamed with MidiBox custom design is my best solution, since it enables me to create my specific MIDI signals operating my console with dual (perhaps 3) custom touchscreens, as well as some MIDIfied buttons and stoptabs I design myself.

pk

On Monday, May 14, 2018, 9:26:02 PM PDT, jcrowley via jOrgan-user <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

jOrgan - User mailing list wrote
> I also need a custom MIDI instrument that would work with our
> Praise Band as well.

Jeffery,

I'm having some trouble grasping just what this instrument is intended to do
and what sounds you are after. I may not be the only one, and this may
explain why there have not been more replies. Can you fill this out
somewhat?

Re: Custom Soundfont and JOrgan

jOrgan - User mailing list
Thank you for your reply John,

I am just checking with all of you experts here - to see if this
configuration has been done before and how successful and/or problematic it
may be.

We have a large facility with a sanctuary, Youth Room, Choir Room, Family
Life Center (big gymnasium) and about 6 other rooms that can hold large
gatherings.  We need something that is incredibly versatile for assisting
with worship in these areas.

The portable instrument will sit on a moveable platform, the pedalboard can
fold up under the keyboard,  I just picked up a 70's Yamaha Electone spinet
style (but made from real wood) which is perfect.  I will gut the unit and
reinstall two manuals and pedal.  Use Hauptwerk for the organ portion and
jOrgan as the controller for the Soundfont.  I want this to be as user
friendly as possible (even though it will probably only be me using it).
The two applications will not be used together.  There will be lighted
rocker tabs for HW and Abelton Launch pads to control the MIDI soundfonts.
I will create the soundfont and I want it to be mostly orchestral sounds
(real) and some general MIDI sounds such as warm pad etc that may be useful
in Worship Praise Band setting.  I wanted to create an instrument that is
"organist friendly" as I personally hate all the other software (although in
the right hands is probably quite useful) and interfaces and if someone else
wants to play for a funeral etc and has no experience with MIDI/Synth
interfaces to be able to sally up to the keyboard and with a little
experimentation start producing music.

Well my first hurdle has and to my shocking surprise - was highly
enthusiastic.  This also included a proposal to add digital stops to our
already beautiful but small Casavant in the sanctuary (Console needs to be
replaced).

I was just interested in others opinions and suggestions.  It is very
unusual that a Lutheran Church has a strong background in both regular
worship and contemporary worship - with both services on Sunday are packed
to the rafters - the Praise Band has been enthusiastically present for over
50 years and shows no signs of waning.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

Jeffery Rowley

-----
Jeffery C. Rowley
Madison, Wisconsin

Re: Custom Soundfont and JOrgan

jOrgan - User mailing list
Jeffrey,

The beautiful thing about using a MIDI controller keyboard is that it is not limited to the sounds of a typical piano or organ. It addresses whatever soundfonts you desire.

I have created an hybrid instrument that is a complete classic organ ... and also a complete theatre organ ... and also a complete orchestra, depending on the intended use.

The initial jOrgan setup screen enables you to select your keyboard to play whatever sounds you desire - a theatre disposition with stoptabs for a jazzy Hammond sound for contemporary Gospel music or a classical hymn-oriented screen with drawknobs that Bach or Handel would play. Just strike a touchscreen button or click a mouse (today's churchmouse?) and there it is!

I am setting up a brand new jOrgan with a fantastic collection of sounds to perform classical music and hymns or Contemporary Christian Music repertoire, simply by engaging whatever seems appropriate to accompany any song. I even play a baby grand piano from the organ console.

At represent I seek a way to install the wide array of Allman soundfonts in a 5-manual organ. My screen will enable me to perform music appropriate to any style.

I am a conductor, recently entering the organ world, so my reason for the organ is different from those who grew up playing the organ as an instrument - I hired organists as any other musician.

My seminar on the history of hymnology grew into a 12-part series, and I accompanied the hymns and gospel music on a keyboard that I used to replicate everything from a reed organ used in Moody-Sankey meetings to organs that sounded like Bach and Handel would play, to the 60's music of John W. Peterson to Michael W.Smith to the Gaithers to Chris Tomlin and Hillsong.

You can configure a single instrument with jOrgan installed to become everything from a Fender-Rhodes to a classic pipe organ.

Since passion for the King of Instruments took over my life, I have visited such installations as the West Point Chapel organ and Wanamakers, and am creating an instrument with the widest variety of music anywhere.

Install jOrgan and select your style for authentic contemporary worship, then simply select different drawknobs or stoptabs to render a full-blown classic organ sound.

Worshippers, soloists, choirs and praise bands don't care what generates the music - they just listen to what you pump into the speakers.

Since my desire is a wide variety of music, I play full classic and full symphonic (theatre) music, with a smattering of G-MIDI orchestral music (string trios, brass quartets, flute obbligatoes, clarinet solos, guitar riffs and walking arco bass)- all from the same keyboard (G-MIDI also features vocal oohs and aahs!).

Serious organists call me bad names for my console design of 5 manuals and mixing serious classics as instrumentals with pop and contemporary music. But have you heard

They do not understand my reasoning, but that is OK.

Years ago a church choral conductor began to step outside HIS box and people did not understand why he would try to turn his church organ into a one-man orchestra, and today we have the magnificent instrument jOrgan is so capable to emulate.

Unfortunately his instrument became the so-called "theatre organ" limited in concept to replicate a full pit orchestra or pop music of the twenties, and died when that sort of music migrated.

Yet, the results of that hero of mine, Robert Hope-Jones exit in music that never existed previously.
He would be thrilled today to experience the jOrgan! ... and so should a certain worship leader conducting multiple musical styles in a certain Lutheran church

Andrew Grahame has an outstanding radio broadcast in Australia, "Theatre Pipe Organ ... Seriously" that brought me into the organ world originally. It features music of Brahms, Debussy, Handel and other serious classic works performed on theatre organs around the world that accomplish what classic organs could never do. His featured Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody #2 on the Regal Arch Cinema Organ is breathtaking.

Jeffrey on the jOrgan - User mailing list wrote

<snip>