Quantcast

Creating Your First jOrgan Disposition using a Soundfont (sf2)

Creating Your First jOrgan Disposition using a Soundfont (sf2)

I have been asked on more than one occasion for advice on how to start
using jOrgan to create one's own custom organs. I point people to
first read Bill's tutorials and Bruce Miles' jOrgan 3.4 information,
but realize that most people want a simple step-by-step basic how-to.
So, here is the beginning of a tutorial that should be part of the
WIKI, please feel free to add your info so that we can get a good
simple basic how-to going for those wanting to get their own joy out
of using Sven's great software.

Basic Installation:
Install jOrgan
Install a Soundfont Editor (Vienna if you have a soundblaster card, or
Viena if you don't)

Step One:
Create your soundfont
[There are other tutorials available online that will help you in this
step. Some people use synthesis software to create organ sounds using
additive synthesis, others use real recordings of actual pipe organs
(with blower noise removed) to create their soundfonts.]

Step Two:
Create your jOrgan disposition
1) Start jOrgan
2) Click on File -> New from the top menu
3) Enter the name of the disposition that you want to create (and
navigate to where you want to save it)
4) Click on 'Save' to create the blank disposition

Step Three:
Import your Soundfont
1) Click on File -> Import from the top menu
2) Now click on Soundfont, and click on Next
3) In the File text box area, click on the [...] button to open the
file navigation dialogue
4) Navigate to where your sf2 file is located
5) Select your soundfont, then click on the OK button
6) Click on the 'Select Stops' to enable the automatic creation of the
corresponding Stop elements in jOrgan
7) Click Next
8) Select all the Stops/Ranks that you want to have from the soundfont
(if you are not selecting all the presets, then press Ctrl and use the
mouse to select all the presets that you do want to import, make sure
to select both the Rank and Stop elements of each one)
9) Click on Finish to import these presets into the jOrgan disposition

Step 4:
Create and Arrange the jOrgan virtual console
1) Enter Construction mode by clicking on the Construct Organ icon
(ruler/pencil/triange icon)
2) You will now see all the imported Rank and Stop elements from the
soundfont presets
3) Click on the imported elements to find out which icon represents a
Stop element and which icon represents a Rank element
4) In the Elements column, find and select the Console element
5) Create a name for your console, configure the screen property, and
then select the jOrgan skin that you want to use (something like
C:\Program Files (x86)\jOrgan3.14b1\skins\classic.zip)
6) Now enable the Skin view (View -> Skin from the top menu)
7) With the Console element still selected in the Elements column,
select the graphic for the console background from the Skin view
8) Now click on the References tab of the Console Element (at the
bottom of the Element column)
9) Click on the Add Reference button (three + signs)
10) Add all the Stop elements, but not the Rank elements (press down
the Ctrl key and use the mouse to select all the Stops (speaker icon
with the 'power' button overlay)
11) Click on Finish
12) You will now see empty boxes on the console screen with the Stop
name next to the box, and all the boxes stacked on top of each other
13) click on the top box to select that Stop element, then select the
Stop graphics from the Skin view
14) Drag and Drop that Stop to its position on the virtual console screen
15) Repeat the last two steps until all the Stops have a graphic from
the Skin, and are arranged on the screen

Step 5:
Create and Configure the MIDI inputs / Manuals
1) Back in the Elements column, click on the Add Element icon (also
three + signs)
2) Enter 'Pedal' into the Element Name textbox
3) Select the Keyboard Element type from the available type selection
and click Next
4) Select all the Stops that will respond to the Pedal Manual
5) Click on Finish
6) Now select the MIDI input to the Pedal Manual from the Keyboard
element's Input property
7) Repeat these steps for the Great and for the Swell Keyboard elements

Step 6:
Create and Configure the Flluidsynth MIDI->Sound engine Element
1) Back in the Elements column, click on the Add Element icon (also
three + signs)
2) Enter 'Soundfont' into the Element Name textbox
3) Select the Fluidsynth Sound Element type from the available type
selection and click Next
4) Click Next again to get to the Referenced From selection screen
5) Select all the Ranks
5) Click on Finish
6) In the Fluidsynth Sound's Properties dialogue screen, select the
Soundfont text box, click on the [...] file navigation button
7) Navigate to your soundfont and select it, then click on the 'Open' button

Step 7:
Save and Test your custom disposition
1) Click on the Save icon to save the changes that you have made
2) Exit Construct organ mode
3) Enable the Keyboards view and test the Stops/Ranks that you have
imported to the disposition.

--------------------------------

This is just to get people started. There is a lot more that can be
done, like adding couplers, swell controls, volume controls, reverb
controls, etc...

Kind regards,
GrahamG

ps, all typos, errors etc are the result of a medicated mind, sinus
meds are in play today... :)

Σχετ: Creating Your First jOrgan Disposition using a Soundfont (sf2)

Panos K. Ghekas
Hi Graham,
Great idea. Very well written, the thing is what to add now? :-) :-)
Maybe adding stop draw effects, tracker manual effects, blower noise ect.... but this fell to advanced course ha ha !

Keep it up high !
Panos

Απο: Graham Goode <[hidden email]>
Προς: jorgan-user <[hidden email]>
Κοιν.: Samuel <[hidden email]>
Στάλθηκε: 10:17 π.μ. Σάββατο, 23 Ιουλίου 2011
Θεμα: [jOrgan-user] Creating Your First jOrgan Disposition using a Soundfont (sf2)

Hi,

[...]

Re: Creating Your First jOrgan Disposition using a Soundfont (sf2)

Marco Francesco
I copied and pasted into a document and filed it for future reference. I know I am going to need this. Looks good. I like it. Best of all I understood what I read.

Part 2 eagerly awaited.

Whilst on the subject of documentation, I hope Bill Skees is still in touch... In view of such rapid upgrades and so many changes (e.g. website references, links etc), I guess it would be best if Bill's Guide could be amalgamated into the WIKI and updated accordingly... though I still would have preferred to be able to print out the Guide into a hard copy some day.

Marco

Re: Creating Your First jOrgan Disposition using a Soundfont (sf2)

DellAnderson
GrahamG - thank you for that excellent summary of how to create a Disposition (basically from scratch).  It is exactly what I  have been more or less inefficiently looking for, and even though I'm not ready to actually build one at the moment, it will serve as an organizational structure around which to collect supporting forum posts etc.   Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees and your post helps bring the forest into view.  Thanks!

PS my first disposition will not be anything special - probably the old Rodgers 32B, but hopefully it will be a good exercise for the student (me!)

Re: Creating Your First jOrgan Disposition using a Soundfont (sf2)

grahamg
Hi Guys,

I added these steps as a Tutorial on the jOrgan WIKI:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jorgan/index.php?title=Building_a_Custom_jOrgan_Fluidsynth_Disposition

Please treat this tutorial as a community investment, so feel free to
edit, add steps, images, links, etc.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

On 7/25/11, DellAnderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> GrahamG - thank you for that excellent summary of how to create a
> Disposition
> (basically from scratch).  It is exactly what I  have been more or less
> inefficiently looking for, and even though I'm not ready to actually build
> one at the moment, it will serve as an organizational structure around which
> to collect supporting forum posts etc.   Sometimes it's hard to see the
> forest for the trees and your post helps bring the forest into view.
> Thanks!
>
> PS my first disposition will not be anything special - probably the old
> Rodgers 32B, but hopefully it will be a good exercise for the student (me!)

Re: Creating Your First jOrgan Disposition using a Soundfont (sf2)

Peter Hanlon
Thanks for your cookbook approach. It got me into a quick discovery tour that would have taken days otherwise.
BCA

Re: Creating Your First jOrgan Disposition using a Soundfont (sf2)

BCA
Hi GG,

did you really work at the sourceforge server? When clicking your link, sourceforge still doesn't host the Wiki anymore.
all the best,
BCA

Re: Creating Your First jOrgan Disposition using a Soundfont (sf2)

grahamg
??

No, I have never worked at Sourceforge.
GG

Re: Creating Your First jOrgan Disposition using a Soundfont (sf2)

rdudevoir
Graham,

Is there a later version on your instructions?  If so where would I find it?

All the best.

Ray DuDevoir

Re: Creating Your First jOrgan Disposition using a Soundfont (sf2)

grahamg
Hi Ray,

This was as far as I got, you can see the wiki page using the
WayBackMachine archive...
https://web.archive.org/web/20140505180931/http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jorgan/index.php?title=Building_a_Custom_jOrgan_Fluidsynth_Disposition

Let me know if you have questions :)

Re: Creating Your First jOrgan Disposition using a Soundfont (sf2)

rdudevoir
Thanks Graham!