Controlling Combination Pistons with MIDI CC codes

Controlling Combination Pistons with MIDI CC codes

elpaharo
I am using the Allman_3-14_SFZ_1a.disposition console and would like some guidance setting the correct codes to control the Pistons from my MIDI button controller.

Each button on the controller can be set to any midi channel and output any CC number. I understand that I can program the jOrgan Combinations to accept the buttons by clicking the Element then Property and then selecting the Message where the far right of the box allows me to hit the Midi button and jOrgan recognizes the device. But, what I do not understand is what code I should program the Midi Box to send so that the Piston will toggle on.

For example, If I select A1 piston and set it to 192, nn, 0 I should be able to control the piston, but what should I use for the nn value? If it were a swell shoe I would use 176, 7, * and that works great for my swell shoes, but in the midi CC chart I have there is no obvious codes for me to use on the pistons. Should I just select a CC in the range of 32 - 63 since those are not normally used?

Can someone help sort this out for me. So far I have all three manuals and pedals  working great. I have an eight port midi merger setup with all the keyboards, pedals, swell shoes, and midi controller button box  on the input side and the output going into the computer via a USB port. The jOrgan speaks via the sound blaster X-fi into a Bose speaker setup. I have the computer keyboard setup for shortcuts to the Combo Pistons, but, that is quite hard to switch on the fly while playing a song. I have the Sound blaster setup for dual synths (A and B) The sound is wonderful.

But as a rookie I am baffled by the piston thing.

Re: Controlling Combination Pistons with MIDI CC codes

kallman
Hello Wjburd,

  The Pistons for the jOrgan are primarily designed to be controlled by the Midi "Program Change" function rather than the Control change function.  I believe they start with 192.xxx.xxx although I don't know the exact numbers. If you program your Midi button controller for sequential Program change numbers starting from 192.xxx.001 and up you should be set to go.  Once you've programmed your buttons you can then open the properties for each combination piston and enable the "activate message" for Midi Input function, press the midi button you want to assign to it and then save it.  You can also control the combination preset pistons by using keyboard "shortcut" feature. It's a similar process except you touch a keyboard letter to assign to the piston instead of a midi button with the "Program Change" function. You might want to review Bruce Miles jOrgan notes that are in the "Installation Instructions" folder with my jOrgan downlo ad. Or go to Bruce's website: http://brucemiles1.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/ for the latest notes.
I hope this helps, good luck with your project.
Best Regards,
Kent Allman

Re: Controlling Combination Pistons with MIDI CC codes

elpaharo
Kent

I must have not asked the question clearly. I have done what you said but I do not know what the xxx numbers are in the syntax of 192.xxx.0

I did read Bruce's guide, over and over again; however, I must have missed that part of it.

Thank you for trying to get me back on the path. PS Your organ disposition is just wonderful. Thank you allowing us to use it.

Bill

Re: Controlling Combination Pistons with MIDI CC codes

kallman
Hello Bill,

   Thank you, I really appreciate that. BTW I just posted a revised Symphonic IV for 2SB cards that can run on a much lower powered computer now.  By using the SB Hardware Synth A&B on each card the amount of CPU power is dramatically reduced compared to the SFZ Synth version.

Concerning the pistons: On my Organworks keyboards I've found that the pistons are programmed to run from a range of 192.0.0, 192.1.0, etc. --- 192.63.0, on up through 193.0.0,---- 193.63.0 etc.  It appears that the last column is allways 0.
I hope this helps.
Kent

Re: Controlling Combination Pistons with MIDI CC codes

elpaharo
Kent

Thank you, I think I see the light on the CC code now.

As far as the modified Symphonic IV I think I will stay with your Allman_3-14_SFZ_1a.disposition  for now. I am just learning how this jOrgan thing works. I will continue to learn and experiment with your excellent disposition until I really understand what is happening. A week ago, I didn't even understand Bruce's note sheet and I spent hours trying to set up the SFZ softSYNTHs then a light came on that I didn't need it or the midi-ox to hook it all together. Just load the Bank 26 and setup the channels inside jOrgan and away it went. The notes are excellent after you understand them. But, just starting out I didn't know what I didn't know yet!

Bill

Re: Controlling Combination Pistons with MIDI CC codes

Nice Pipes

Hello Bill

Perhaps the following will help you resolve your Piston problems in jOrgan.

First, you can use either Controller messages, or Patch Change (Programme Change) messages to control pistons in jOrgan.

In the following notes I am working entirely in DECIMAL numbers

Controller Change Messages

These take the form:  176+Ch, Controller Num, Value.

Ch is the channel number. But remember, Ch=0 for channel 1, Ch=1 for channel 2 and so on.

Controller Numbers, which you can use, lie in the range 0 to 119.

Value is set to 00 in every case.

Patch Change (Programme Change) Messages

These take the form 192+Ch, Patch Num.

The same comment applies here for Ch as in the above.

Patch Numbers lie in the range 0 to 127.

I have 10 Pistons each for my 3 manuals, plus 52 General Pistons in my jOrgan Theatre disposition.

The Stops, Couplers, and Pistons for each Manual are controlled using Patch Changes, using different Channels for each Manual.

The 52 General Pistons are controlled using Controller Changes on Channel 6 (197,0,0 to 197,51,0).

I also control Tremulants, Swells, and Cancels using midi messages.

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter

Re: Controlling Combination Pistons with MIDI CC codes

elpaharo
Peter

Thank you, I got it now. The patch change messages are the ones I needed to understand. I was hung up worrying about the middle number and your explanation coupled with Kent's has cleared this problem up. I now understand the sequences that need to occur to make the piston changes happen. Thank you!