Combining dispositions

Currently I have imported one disposition into another disposition, in order to combine them.  The problem is, that when I try to import the disposition in one go, it does not import everything, and it is so big, it would be a nightmare to inspect which elements did not import.  Then I tried importing it in blocks, but then you lose all references, as well as all messages.

Is there another way, like for example, combining two (or more) dispositions in a text editor?

Re: Combining dispositions

Aaron Laws
On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 2:30 PM, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Currently I have imported one disposition into another disposition, in order
to combine them.  The problem is, that when I try to import the disposition
in one go, it does not import everything, and it is so big, it would be a
nightmare to inspect which elements did not import.  Then I tried importing
it in blocks, but then you lose all references, as well as all messages.

Is there another way, like for example, combining two (or more) dispositions
in a text editor?

Brian.

You're pushing the limits here, Brian! ;-)

Re: Combining dispositions

BrianS
Hi Aaron,

Possibly.  I have a working disposition, in which I combined in to one "Super Disposition", various smaller dispositions with their respective soundfonts as well as skins.  i had a couple of Paul's dispositions, my own, as well.  Then when you play, you simply need to click a button and you are instantly using a different disposition.  This worked for my Windows system, but does not work on my Raspberry system, because, I can currently only load one soundfont on the Pi at a time, whereas on Windows, I can load many soundfonts, using Jack and PortAudio.

So on the Pi, I am installing the Christie disposition, and combining it with a hardware soundmodule, which means I don't need to load a second soundfont - and I instantly have 4 audio channels instead of just 2 using the Raspberry Pi.

So because I cannot afford a hardware midi sound module, I have simply taken one of my arranger Yamaha keyboards, and removed the lower organ manual from my latest Yamaha midification project (using the Pi to control it all) and installed this Yamaha keyboard in it's place. I now have almost 500 different presets that reside in hardware , instead of in a soundfont. So jOrgan can control the soundbanks in my Yamaha keyboard as well as a soundfont.  THis is all in one disposition.

Re: Combining dispositions

BrianS
Thank you Aaron.

Re: Combining dispositions

Julie Porter
I use a scripting language (in my case ghotstscript, python should work too)  to manage my dispositions.

Younger people prefer Python as this drives the web and the current trend called internet of things (IoT.) jOrgan is much an IoT thing. An XML parser is needed.  These are fairly common as HTML is a form of XML.  It also helps to have a key value relational database, although arrays work.  This is to track the references.   As postscript provides all of the above I use that.

I have noticed that the skin and the disposition are closely linked.  The skin determines what is shown on the stop tab label.   The name field in the disposition is more of a comment that helps the user know what the element is.

As I work with physical pipe organs,  for the element ID the input pin is a good unique reference for stops. It also has a direct corelation to the MIDI input note by dividing by 128 and using the modulus (remander) + 1 for the MIDI note.  The dividend plus one is the board number which works as the MIDI channel number.

Console IDs are in the 9000 range.  Ranks are in the 3000 range. Modifiers (like trems, couplers, expression) are in the 2000 range. Subsections are in the hundreds place, so console labels might start at 9300,  Ranks start at 3300.  I have not fully implemented combination activators, these will be in the 4000 range.

The advantage of scripting is that most of the duplication can be automated.  It would be in theory possible to use a grid on graph paper (like they do for physical pipe organs) to track the unique references. Any stop can be identified in the database by the division(keyboard), pitch, and the rank. Couplers are pitch, division from, and division to.  I call these descriptors.

The other tool that is useful is a spreadsheet, like excel.   The ID is defined in the rows there the first column is a list of IDs which can be sorted on,  The columns are the descriptors,   By using the concatenate() and text() functions  it is possible to create a small relational database.  This is  how I created the Allen dispositions as I needed to keep track of the NRPNs and map them.