Calling all Raspberry Pi 3 users.........

Calling all Raspberry Pi 3 users.........

BrianS
How many of you are using Raspberry Pi 3 Model B?

I am having a lot of success with it on my side.

Re: Calling all Raspberry Pi 3 users.........

Paul Kealy
I am ready to step out into this new world.
Is it true it will utterly replace my entire WIN COMPUTER?

Yes, I DO want you to give me the raspberry!

Which is the best model to start with? . . .
of the different models, which should I begin with?
The 3 model B or is there a better one.

I intend to get several and daisy chain them together.

pk

= = = Monday, April 10, 2017 @ 1:31 AM PDT, BrianS wrote: = = =

How many of you are using Raspberry Pi 3 Model B?

I am having a lot of success with it on my side.

Re: Calling all Raspberry Pi 3 users.........

BrianS
Hi Paul,

I would sugest you first get one only, to see if you are happy with it.

In my setup, I have two so far - one is inside my console, the other will be outside the console, for now, there is only one outside, but I am planning a few of them.

Get the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.  I do not know the others.

If you can, get a touch screen with it as well, for example, a 10 inch.  I am using a 10 inch Waveshare touch scree, with a resolution of 1024 X 600.  The screen and the Raspberry Pi plug into each other directly and 'appear' to be a single unit afterwards - but you can unplug them again.

Re: Calling all Raspberry Pi 3 users.........

Paul Kealy
I have several large touchscreens I use with my Win7 organ console computers.
Having faced obsolescence amongst XP, 7, 8, 10 etc. I prefer the potential (if actual) of using this new alternative, eliminating the Win computer altogether, since I seek to use the Pi PCI computer-on-a-card solely for organ - no need for DTP, IT, Movie, Finale, or any other application (I have a half dozen computers dedicated to those uses).

If what they claim is correct, this Raspbetty Pi is a computer or a card to which I stuff the OS and organ software - that suits my needs perfectly.

Although I have several multiplex screen adapters / software for Mac or PC, I figured multiple Raspberry Pi, each equipped with monitor outputs, might enable me to use multiple monitors.

Also,each card would feature a MIDI input access via USB. Is that correct?

pk
StentorVox.com

Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 9:50 PM PDT, BrianS wrote:

Hi Paul,

I would suggest you first get one only, to see if you are happy with it.

In my setup, I have two so far - one is inside my console, the other will be
outside the console, for now, there is only one outside, but I am planning a
few of them.

Get the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.  I do not know the others.

If you can, get a touch screen with it as well, for example, a 10 inch.  I
am using a 10 inch Waveshare touch scree, with a resolution of 1024 X 600.
The screen and the Raspberry Pi plug into each other directly and 'appear'
to be a single unit afterwards - but you can unplug them again.

Re: Calling all Raspberry Pi 3 users.........

rdudevoir
I am running two converted organs using  Raspberry Pis.  Here is a quick description:

ALLEN Model 300  (early 1970’s) with 2 manuals and 32 pedals converted to midi using MidiBoutique electronics (hwce2 - bundle #1).
• Raspberry Pi 3 with Pluggable USB Audio Adapter with 3.5mm stereo output jack. Audio adapter available on Amazon for $8.00 US.
• Running Paul Stratman’s  Jorgan American Classis Organ two manuals and pedals  Aeolian-Skinner model. Link:  https://stratmaninstruments.joomla.com/jorgan-disposition-packages/2-american-classic-organ
• The computer interfaces to a 7 inch Raspberry Pi touch screen monitor.  I also am using a wireless mouse which seems easier than using the touchscreen.
• Connects to Midi card using Roland UM-ONE midi/USB interface.
• I have been running the configuration for about 10 months, the installation is stable and the sound quality is good.  This organ is used for practice in a medium size room.

ALLEN Sheriton 15  (1963) with 2 manuals and 25 pedals converted to midi using MidiBoutique electronics (hwce2 - bundle #1).
• Raspberry Pi 3 with Audio Injector digital sound card. Sound card is available on Amazon for $22.00 US.
• Running Paul Stratman’s  Jorgan American Classis Organ two manuals and pedals  Aeolian-Skinner model.
• The computer interfaces to a 14 inch non-touch monitor via HDMI with wireless mouse.
• Connects to Midi card using Roland UM-ONE midi/USB interface.
• I have been running the configuration for about 2 months, the installation is stable and the sound quality is good.  This organ is used for practice in a medium size room.

I recommend using the most powerful Raspberry Pi available which is currently the Pi 3.  The onboard audio available on the Model 3 is analog and is not of acceptable quality. Either the USB audio adapter or the digital sound card mentioned above provide high quality sound output.

For detailed information on the Raspberry Pi I recommend the following site:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

The Raspberry Pi software can be found here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/

All the best!

Ray DuDevoir

Re: Calling all Raspberry Pi 3 users.........

BrianS
Hi Paul and Ray,

In my new setup, I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 model B.  For midi encoder, I am using MCE32064 by Midi Boutique.  As a soundcard I have tested a cheap USB soundcard, but I'm now using aBehringer USB soundcard that I have no other use for.  For the screen, I am using a 10 inc Waveshare touchscreen.  I am using a car 4 channel amplifier, with a pair of 6X9 inch full range 3 way speaker by Pioneer, as well as one 12 inch subwoofer also by pioneer.  Controlling this lot, I am using a parametric equalizer that is also meant to be used in a car. I am planning a headless organ bur for the moment I'm using the wireless mouse and keyboard with the 10 inch touch screen.

The amplifier is a 4 channel, each one at 90 Watt RMS (4 Ohms).  Two of the channels are in bridged mode in order to supply the power to the sub-woofer.

So, I have eliminated all the complexities of Windows and physical hard drives, raid array, driver for special soundcards, drivers for touch screens and so on.

Re: Calling all Raspberry Pi 3 users.........

Paul Kealy
I have several organ setups, configured similarly.
They are all operated in Windows XP computers with multiple SoundBlaster soundcards.

Four separate keyboards / pedals / MIDI triggers from stoptabs sent on MIDI cable to DIY wired circuit boards manufactured by MIDIbox.

I documented this in a 100-page tutorial.

I began years ago with a Baldwin classic MIDI organ from which "MIDI OUT" I plugged into a WIN XP computer running the SoundBlaster soundcards and ran the MidiTzer software to two dozen speaker cabinets. I added a couple of additional keyboards to play the existing classic organ as is, or engaging the MIDI tablet,
playing an entire MIDI theatre organ, as well. This is documented on my website at >StentorVox dot com< with a link to click on "Classic/Theatre Hybrid MidiTZer."

Having lost interest in mediocre home organs years ago, hearing this music playing on today's soundfonts that blew my mind caused me to enter the organ world for the first time since I was a kid. I began a restoration project for the local theatre organ in my home town, the last remaining 216 Wurli organ in in its original location on Planet Earth (upon which the free-downloadable MidiTzer organ is based).

I created a touring instrument to promote the restoration project, encouraging others to embrace the King of Instruments - very successfully.

I created several organs outfitted similarly, in gutted consoles, simply setting MIDI CONTROLLER keyboards, plugging them into computers outfitted with SoundBlasters, managing the organ ranks.

Although I prefer to energize ranks to my MIDIbox cards via my stoptabs (documented on my website), they are not motorized and pistons are not discernable (although I decided to add lighted LEDs at each stoptab for visual identification), increased stop require a greater selection of tabs / drawknobs (although I recently adopted a gutted Devtronics Console I am setting within four MIDI manuals with a horseshoe of three rows of stoptabs). So I have three 24" touchscreens that are successful and easy to configure on screen.

Now I am set to create a personal j-Organ configuration for greater versatilty.

The obsolescence of XP computers and recent halt to SoundBlaster cards (although still wonderfully workable and available on eBay to plug in MIDI keyboard controllers and output multiple amplified speakers) caused me to migrate to dual Delta 1010LT soundcards mounted in an outboard external NUBBAY case that I am working on now (two of these yield me 16 outputs). Fantrastic and workable.

I have a dozen computers (XP, Win7s, Win 8s, Win 10s) at my workstation as graphic artist, conference speaker and media producer, and have developed a loathing for Win computers for organ application since the forced version 10 was introduced.

I hope there is a way I can migrate to Raspbetty Pi as a separate computer powered by jOrgan specifically for an organ installation. Like Casey at the Bat, hope springs eternal in my breast, so I glean any an all I can from this list.

I have toured the Wanamakers, Longwood Gardens, West Point and other instruments and I have a passion to make great sounding instruments available to today's generation and jOrgan is the key. I sincerely hope Raspberry Pi will be a key factor. I attended a workshop seminar on Raspberry Pi, but they had no knowledge of MIDI or any music keyboard applications, nor any desire to pursue it.

This Setup works:
four SoundBlasters mounted in XP computer,
each with 1 MIDI input (plugs into Joystick port)
each with four discrete amp outputs
   (configured to play different organ ranks)

I wish to migrate to Raspberyy Pi powering dual Delta 1010LT soundcards.

I have 3 dozen speaker cabs powered by as many powerful watts of amplified power.

= = = April 13, 2017, BrianS wrote: = = =

<snip>

Hi Paul and Ray,

In my new setup, I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 model B.  For midi encoder, I
am using MCE32064 by Midi Boutique.  As a soundcard I have tested a cheap
USB soundcard, but I'm now using aBehringer USB soundcard that I have no
other use for.  For the screen, I am using a 10 inc Waveshare touchscreen.
<snip>

Re: Calling all Raspberry Pi 3 users.........

Paul Kealy
Brain.

You are doing an awesome work!

Blessings,