Audio Interface Question

John M
What a great program!  I am continually impressed with it the more I learn
about it.

I have become a firm believer in the use of multiple channel audio.  To my
ears, it really makes the sound much more realistic, even if the audio is
not totally top notch.  Don't misunderstand me, the audio chain must pass a
certain threshold to be useful, but hugely expensive systems are not
mandatory.

Arriving at multi-channel sound fonts is not difficult with Polyphone,
another great program, by the way.  One need merely to save a file as a
principal 8', and delete everything else in the sound font.  Re-open the
file, save it as a flute 4', delete everything else, etc.  Now, the organ
has sound fonts separated.  The final step is to make new synthfont
elements, and have the program link to them.

My question is this:  I use multi-channel audio interfaces, but so far have
had no luck in getting jOrgan to recognize channels that are available via
an Adat device.  Has anyone overcome this issue, or do I need to stay with
interfaces that have analog outputs?  S/PDIF outputs work fine, but they
only reference two channels.

Thank you for your help.

John M

-----
John Maher

John Maher

Re: Audio Interface Question

Brian Sweetnam
I use multi-channel audio.  My system uses 10 separate audio channels, and
each pair of channels shares one subwoofer.  In earlier times, I only used
one stereo pair (sharing one subwoofer).  With the 10 channels, the
experience is much more immersive, and does sound more natural than just 2
channels.  The overall experience is much much better.  Perhaps this is
exactly what John M was inferring?

Re: Audio Interface Question

jOrgan - User mailing list
Brian, Good to learn I am not alone.
I am a strong advocate for multiple-channel speakers.

For one, my approach is to create identifiable organ "ranks" by assigning separate pipe ranks to specific speakers, as many as my organ is capable to reproduce. I had as many as 40 amplified speakers playing 16 or more separate discrete "ranks." Most serious organists (who play for other organists) do not like my concept at all.

It is a pity that in today's culture many youth do not recognize the identity of sounds the King of Instruments is capable to reproduce. So in my museum, I have sought to surround the listening ambiance with separated speakers reproducing a variety of songs called upon by discrete stoptabs. The kids hear a viol or a tibia or a vox humana and learn to identify the individual sounds, and how to use an organ console to create their own music.

This results from my teaching G-MIDI workshops (before I embraced the pipe organ seriously), where I performed specific orchestral instruments playing from individual speakers surrounding the classroom, identified with a grasphic of the instrument associated with that speaker (violin, trumpet, piano, flute, etc.). It blew peoples' minds that a single MIDI wire could play discrete instruments simultaneously from a MIDI keyboard.

I would have a songwriter from the audience who did not read music come create a tune on a MIDI keyboard and watch their notes display on screen, then hit control "P" to print that song on a printer. Amazing! What Bach and Handel do had they that technology in their day!

I owned a 24-track recording studio that people would bring a slew of synths (Roland, Prophet, Farfisa, etc.
each with its own operating system with an assortment of patch panels to create their sounds.

It was a miracle when manufacturers decided on a protocol called MIDI that enabled them all to speak a common language. Oh, a piano on one system would sound different from a piano of somebody else's MIDI, but it would still be a piano according to the MIDI protocol.

When Miditzer and similar organ software enabled them to layer and merge a variety of sounds (beyond the earlier 16 voice limit), I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It worked so successfully for me until recent "upgrades" brought my system down.

Like my hero Robert Hope-Jones, I am choral conductor turned organ-builder, seeking to bring alive the soul of the organ to the listening ears of a contemporary world. My failure at this point may end as his did, but until that time, I still seek to maximize MIDI organ architecture, enabling a new generation to become creative utilizing the potential of the organ.

So although true organists prefer a stereo set of speakers performing a musical blend, my conducting instruments and voices in large groups calls me to replicate that experience playing music through a variety of separated speaker cabs.

Glad to know I am not alone in my mission.

pk
StentorVox dot com.

Re: Audio Interface Question

Paul Kealy
John,
So good to see your comments.

A true pipe organ creates music from a bazillion separate pipes.
Although I do not seek to run that many speakers, with a background in conducting choirs and orchestras, I like to be surrounded by separate ranks singing thru as many amplified speaker cabs as possible so I love such an experience (I guess I never got over Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean surround sound as a kid, heh!)

Seated at the console is not unlike standing at the podium, surrounded by instruments to conduct.

I run MidiTzer's 260 3-manual 20 ranks thru individual discrete channels, plus another separate keyboard to run G-MIDI (and soon a couple of chests of winded pipes). In fact, I have created several organ consoles using their awesome software. I use soundcards that provide discrete rank outputs assigning separated ranks thru kX software giving me a delicious surround sound while providing a variety of speakers with identifiable organ ranks to help others learn to identify sounds produced by the King of Instruments. In fact I wrote a 100-page tutorial of how I do this; if you're interested, I'll post a copy to you. I do not believe it will run on jOrgan platform, but perhaps I can do that, as well. MidiTzer does not enable software changes, whereas I can create a unique organ of my own in jOrgan.

I am just getting into jOrgan to create a 5-manual console including as many discrete organ ranks and acoustical G-MIDI orchestra instruments as possible (my background before organ has been G-MIDI). So I spend a LOT of time perusing the jOrgan postings hoping for advice to employ for my invention.

Somehow Granny's old electronic parlor Wurlitzer with limited sounds playing thru speakers under the keyboard  manuals aimed at  my crotch didn't give me a satisfying sound. But surrounded by speakers playing as an orchestra -now THAT's my kind of musical experience - and thanx to jOrgan, more are joining the creative experience today!