Quantcast

Another file saving awkwardness in the record/playback system.

Another file saving awkwardness in the record/playback system.

Julie Porter

Most of the work I have done with jOrgan is to use it as a audio monitor, to play back recordings from other systems.

Now that I have a virtual console, I used the built in record button for the first time.

This worked as we pressed record, and the track recorded.   There was no T1.mid defined in the disposition so I though the track recorded to the file T1.

The file played back without issue.   We replayed it several times.

I then quit the program.  As  I made no changes to the disposition;  I chose not to save and overwrite the *disposition at the end of the session. The recording was lost there was no T1.mid on the disk.    The artist was not willing to record again.

In working with the jOrgan program, and a record session,  it seems that one has to press the eject button on the record tab (window pane) before the recording is saved to disk.  This was also confusing as after we recorded and we hit eject  I chose to give the recording the name T2.mid.  Instead of saving T1.mid,  The old T1.mid was overwritten with the info that should have been T2.mid and T2.mid had 0 bytes.

There also does not seem to be a jukebox option to the record/playback system.   To play back a set of recordings.  I know this can be done from an external MIDI source as that is how I was able to play the late Rich Olsen's Band organ dispositions, which are images of the tracker bar.

I have not yet looked to see if an increment option can be used to change the song without use of the record tab (window pane.)

The consoles I am working with do have built in record systems that use a native format that records to an SD card that contains the settings for the pipe relay.     I guess in theory one could use this adapter in a hybrid pipe/digital sound system.   The current record and it's associated LCD exists in a junk drawer.

I personally have no issue with the separate recording formats, as I can translate back and forth.  This however does require an extra step and the need for two different file formats depending on which recording system is used.   It also requires that the recorded file has to be copied from the console's SD card, to the (in my case Macintosh) folder on the hard drive.

Having two record systems was confusing when I demonstrated my setup.    The big show, is going to be this weekend when the local AMICA group has a gathering, Where there will also be a number of ATOS members attending as the membership overlaps.

Re: Another file saving awkwardness in the record/playback system.

Aaron Laws
On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Julie Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

You are not the first to remark on the awkwardness of the record system. Based on the way it works, I wouldn't be surprised if it was added more as an afterthought, or perhaps it was implemented early, but as the program changed, the record element wasn't kept up-to-date. I'm sorry you had to learn its quirks in such a situation (i.e. "The artist was not willing to record again.")!

I agree: I don't know of a jukebox option, nor an increment option to change the song.

Will the "big show" this weekend be videotaped?