Allman Disposition Swells

jOrgan - User mailing list
Greetings to all.... and again thanks for the Allman links.

I have put the Allman Disposition in jOrgan 3.21.  Most everythings works
with the necessary adjustments for a different system.  I am using external
Qsynth to host the soundfont and PortAudio. (no latency)

I can not get the swell pedals to work.  I know the data is there because I
have keys etc.  I have the swell pedals working in Miditzer and Hauptwerk no
problem... Midi Ch. 1.

Here are the strings:
Change  equal 191, equal 11, greaterEqual 34 | lessEqual 93 | sub 34 | div
59 | get value
Intercept  equal 176, equal 7, get volume
Engaging  set 176, set 11, set value | div 1.1 | add 0.090909 | mult volume
127

I'd love some ideas about what I am missing.
Cheers
Marc-Paul

Re: Allman Disposition Swells

lwalls
change controller 11 references to controller 7.

linuxsampler (qsynth) doesn't seem to support cc 11 (in the normal way).

CLW

On 5/30/2018 3:51 PM, Marc-Paul via jOrgan-user wrote:

> Greetings to all.... and again thanks for the Allman links.
>
> I have put the Allman Disposition in jOrgan 3.21.  Most everythings works
> with the necessary adjustments for a different system.  I am using external
> Qsynth to host the soundfont and PortAudio. (no latency)
>
> I can not get the swell pedals to work.  I know the data is there because I
> have keys etc.  I have the swell pedals working in Miditzer and Hauptwerk no
> problem... Midi Ch. 1.
>
> Here are the strings:
> Change  equal 191, equal 11, greaterEqual 34 | lessEqual 93 | sub 34 | div
> 59 | get value
> Intercept  equal 176, equal 7, get volume
> Engaging  set 176, set 11, set value | div 1.1 | add 0.090909 | mult volume
> 127
>
> I'd love some ideas about what I am missing.
> Cheers
> Marc-Paul
>

> --
> Sent from: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-User-f999863.html

Re: Allman Disposition Swells

jOrgan - User mailing list
Here is the USB-to-videoscreen monitor adapter (I plug two of them into USB sockets on my Windows 7 computer) I use successfully to hook up two large touchscreens to MidiTzer organ software, ignoring the computer video output.

pk
StentorVox

USB multiple display monitor adapter.jpg (78K) Download Attachment

Re: Allman Disposition Swells

Paul,
Very interesting, especially with the touch ability. The big question is, do
such (or similar) units work with Linux?

Re: Allman Disposition Swells

jOrgan - User mailing list
I can only hope so, as I have not yet been able to engage Linux in my setup. They are perfect for my Windoze OS organs.

After too long a long wait, with some incredible help it appears I am finally able to create my desired five manual jOrgan console (4 manuals of Allman-based ranks plus a keyboard devoted to orchestral G-MIDI and some winded pipechests), and Linux may be a solution to avoid overcrowded computer.

I will keep you posted.
pk

Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 4:02:37 PM PDT, John Reimer wrote:

<snip>
Very interesting, especially with the touch ability.
The big question is, do such (or similar) units work with Linux?
<snip>

Re: Allman Disposition Swells

RoyR wrote
> touch screens do seem to be a rather vexed
> subject in Linux.

Roy,
Thank you. That page is certainly of interest. I must create an FAQ item for
my new website so that its link can be recorded there. Since the RPi uses
touchscreens and a form of Linux, obviously there is no problem there. My
VPO console computer is a small laptop (netbook?) with a touch screen, and
although I currently use the Windows 8.1 which came with it, occasionally I
put in a USB stick which I bought, with Ubuntu Studio version 16 whatever
pre-recorded, and the touch screen certainly works there, without the need
for any fiddling.

I might add that on the laptop I use elsewhere in the house for my normal
computer use, without touch, I have made it dual-boot so that I can use
either Ubuntu version 14 whatever LTS, OR Windows 7. The latter use for some
reason is very slow, and I use it only when I absolutely have to. So I have
been using Ubuntu version 14 for some years now, and am very happy with it.
HOWEVER, I almost never have to use the terminal or otherwise get involved
with Ubuntu technicalities, and so whatever ability I once had with that
sort of thing (marginal at best!) belongs in the dim past. I am not
confident about reviving it.

Thank you for contributing to this list

jOrgan - User mailing list
I must admit my reason for jOrgan is different from most others. I am not an organist - but learning the best I can - I am a conductor and have hired organists in my choirs and orchestras.

However, realizing the demise of the King of Instruments today, my passion has become to bring a better awareness of the instrument to the listening ears of our generation, and am building several consoles and a museum.

Many on this list object strenuously to my multiple manuals and separated ranks into dedicated speaker cabs.

However, a stereo output that serves a skilled organ player is not practical to serve my needs; I want to replicate a wider orchestral sound from my console. I thrill to tour magnificent instruments, from the Wanamakers and West Point to Spreckels outdoor amphitheater and similar instruments.

I have discovered playing certain organ registrations to today's youth does not always help them recognize the variety of available sounds of which an organ is capable. To many, it sounds like an organ, or an organ or an organ. Period.

(Unless a Hammond, which is not where I wish to go).

I met Lorin Whitney as a kid when I recorded in his recording studio and experienced his mighty Robert Morton, feeling organs would always be around for those who were into that sort of thing, which I really wasn't. After he died I discovered his organ was parted up and destroyed and would never sing again - my heart broke and I soon realized the organ is being lost today. Then I learned of MidiTzer and jOrgan, with HW and others to follow.

Robert Hope-Jones and others sought to broaden the sounds the organ can produce, and that has become my passion today, as well. That's why I love to hear classical music performed on theatre organs, playing sounds never available to Buxtehude, Bach and Handel.

Back in their day, if you wanted to play a louder or softer volume, you added or deleted the number of playing ranks (until the swell chests and pedals to operate them were invented), and adding additional ranks to a registration required additional pressure - some muscular organists had to stand on the pedalboard to have enough downward thrust to power the chords, and couplers were sparse.

Ever heard the cliche, "pulling our all the stops?
That was the only way to get a loud volume we get by pumping a certain amplifier volume pedal or two on the floor above the pedals.

For a variety of rank sounds, for hundreds of years it required first of all, a good design in wood or metal pipes, then building them and inserting them in a winded pipe chest, then - hoping the timbre was compatible with other ranks of the organ installation, placing it in some sort of listening ambiance acceptable to listeners.

Today we have the miracle of MIDI to access created sounds to reproduce music for standard repertoire, pop, classical, hymns, gospel, heck ... movies, even! - to play from a huge cathedral, a theatre auditorium or the corner living room of a small house - or even a set of earphones that nobody else hears- something Bach and Handel would have loved.

Thanks to jOrgan, this potential will continue.

When I discovered our local theatre housed the last remaining Wurli 216 in its original location on Planet Earth I created a replica in its style for promotional purposes, based on the MidiTzer 216, a FREE DOWNLOAD so anyone can create a similar instrument in their own computer, followed by the 3 manual 260 Wurli.

Since that software could not be amended or augmented, I discovered jOrgan could enable me to create a custom console of my own, and thought I had died and gone to Glory when a fellow constituent came alongside to aid me.

Therefore, I rely heavily on this list to guide me with advice from others who have knowledge far beyond my ken or humble ability. I had to drop my activity for awhile and when I returned found jOrgan future might have been rather "iffy" so glad others have stepped up to continue the work - the success of this list lies on those who contribute, so keep it up, folks!

I have a 2 manual and a 3 manual theatre Wurli and a classical MIDI Baldwin and now creating a 5 manual and doing what I can to bring that sound to today's generation.

Many of us here lurk and learn, so post your knowledge - please. Many of us depend on it for a variety of reasons. Even those who despise my reasons for being here, I learn so much from all of you.

pk

Re: Thank you for contributing to this list

jOrgan - User mailing list wrote
> Many on this list object strenuously to my multiple manuals and separated
> ranks into dedicated speaker cabs........... Even those who despise my
> reasons for being here, I learn so much from all of you.

Paul,
You have as much right to be here as anyone else, and to take whatever
approach you like to the use of jOrgan. If any people object to your
enthusiasm, I'm sure that they feel the same way about mine. But that does
not deter me in the slightest.

There may be one or two who are how you portray them (although I have never
noticed it), but things would be like that in any large group.

mouse vs. touch screen

jOrgan - User mailing list
I never got around in my last rant to speak of mouse vs. touch-screen (me and my big mouf!). Anyhow ...

Trying to interest folks in operating the jOrgan with a mouseclick is definitely not as effective as simply touching the screen to get a whole new organ sound. I got three of those USB-to-monitor adapters that solved the situation using Windows OS.

For one thing, taking fingers off a MIDI keyboard to click a mouse impairs the musical flow, but most importantly, today's generation is very used to fingering a screen - isn't that why God invented fingernails?

I hope there is a way to use touchscreen in all upcoming iterations of jOrgan software.

pk

Re: mouse vs. touch screen

jOrgan - User mailing list wrote
> I hope there is a way to use touchscreen in all upcoming iterations of
> jOrgan software.

Paul,
I'm not aware of any reason why your Master computer can't be running a
version of Windows and then linked to as many instances of RPi as you like
by means of the jOrgan LAN. In fact that's what I may have to do with my own
installation, if I can't get the touch screens to do exactly what I need.
And note that that is exactly what Brian is doing with his set-up.

Re: Allman Disposition Swells

Thanks for you interest, John.

As to the terminal stuff, from the rest of your post it doesn't seem you have any pressing need to revive it! Ubuntu, and Linux generally, has become much more user friendly over the years so you seldom need to use the terminal, just as you seldom need MSDOS mode in Windows. I run everything on Linux Mint, which is derived from Ubuntu and uses the same repositories for extra applications.

On Thu, 31 May 2018 at 03:02, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
RoyR wrote
> touch screens do seem to be a rather vexed
> subject in Linux.

Roy,
Thank you. That page is certainly of interest. I must create an FAQ item for
my new website so that its link can be recorded there. Since the RPi uses
touchscreens and a form of Linux, obviously there is no problem there. My
VPO console computer is a small laptop (netbook?) with a touch screen, and
although I currently use the Windows 8.1 which came with it, occasionally I
put in a USB stick which I bought, with Ubuntu Studio version 16 whatever
pre-recorded, and the touch screen certainly works there, without the need
for any fiddling.

I might add that on the laptop I use elsewhere in the house for my normal
computer use, without touch, I have made it dual-boot so that I can use
either Ubuntu version 14 whatever LTS, OR Windows 7. The latter use for some
reason is very slow, and I use it only when I absolutely have to. So I have
been using Ubuntu version 14 for some years now, and am very happy with it.
HOWEVER, I almost never have to use the terminal or otherwise get involved
with Ubuntu technicalities, and so whatever ability I once had with that
sort of thing (marginal at best!) belongs in the dim past. I am not
confident about reviving it.

Re: Allman Disposition Swells

lwalls
OOPS!!!  Please disregard my previous post (below).  I mistakenly associated the GUI
frontend Qsynth with linuxsampler.  Of course, Qsynth is a GUI frontend for fluidsynth.

However, for anyone using linuxsampler as your sound source, what I stated previously
holds true.

CLW