Advanced disposition programming works great with a few exeptions

Advanced disposition programming works great with a few exeptions

Julie Porter
I guess my prior missive was a bit to complex to garner a response.   I am not sure how to distill it down into something less wordy.

By sifting through my old code and example dispositions I was able to figure out how to use activators to create mixtures and combinations of buttons and traps.
I also found that there really is a <switch> function that can draw things like indicators.

To be blunt, The documentation on jOrgan is really bad.  Not only that, but google refuses to allow the search term jorgan, which it auto corrects to jordan.  Even searching the archives of this listgroup returns incoherent results.

Fortunately I saved some older documentation, which is sadly incomplete.  It refers to terms like locking and such which are not in the XML  There seems to be no table of these abstractions to the internal numeric codes.
I have to use trial and error to see what things are.

I have been able to get my translator to output virtual emulations of real pipe organs, from either the uniflex D1 file or the Emutek POS directory.  A second translator program, can take recordings from these organs and create the appropriate MIDI.  I have also managed to create an Arduino interface, which can connect either to pipes or a jOrgan emulation.  (using a variation on the Emutek hardware, where I replaced the master controller with an Arduino and convert the RS422 to MIDI)  This works surprisingly well, although I need to spend significant amounts of time to tweak or create  better sound fonts.

The one part, that I am having difficulty with are the logic functions.   This is where stop a and stop b controls a function.  This is usually used in the traps and trap couplers.  A pedal board may have a set of contacts which connect to all the keys, called a trap line.  There also may be a trap line on the accompaniment.   So when a trap and the trapline are active the sound plays.  There are also ways using a reverser and inversion to create flip flops.  So that say a high tom plays from the accompaniment and a low tom from the pedal.   It is amazing the ingenuity of the designers before computers.  Uniflex offers a logical or between two elements, but that is not really used.  It is the 'and' logic that is most often used.

The other place this logic is used in for pizzicato and reiterate.  Where a tab might be anded with a stop to create the effect.  I think this would have to be done like the trems, where there are two samplings one with the effect on and one with it off.  This is how the trems work. Again much more trial and error is needed to automate this.

Sorry for my frustration and a need to vent.  Almost working is much more awkward than not working at all.   The results I do have are wonderful when they load.  There has been some amazingly good work on the graphics, so that the consoles really do look great almost like a photograph with highlights and such.  I am even able to simulate a bit of a horseshoe layout for smaller organs.  When songs are played back, the tabs move as do the swell pedals.

Still that last little detail, to enable the logic functions would really put the polish on this.   I'll probably keep the trial and error to see if I can hit on the right combination of regulators, activators and Keyers.  The workaround is to manually edit the resulting code to create a more meta solution.  The ultimate goal, is to replicate the  behavior of the pipe organ as it was in the now defunct pizza parlor.   A sort of virtual resurrection.

(Side note, my conversion scripts also work with Allen and Hauptwerk MIDI, So I can play jOrgan emulations from the library of these recordings too.)

Re: Advanced disposition programming works great with a few exeptions

Julie,

Paul Stratman has sent you a reply via the jOrgan Facebook Group. (Currently
he has no access to the jOrgan Mailing List for some reason, and I have
suggested to him that he unsubscribe and then resubscribe). Here is his
reply:

“ I think what you describe with traps and "flipflops" might be done with
synchronizers. In some of my more complex dispositions, I did do some
logic/flowchart functions with synchronizers.”

I think that in his dispositions Paul has been a pioneer in manipulating the
logical functions which the various switching elements of jOrgan provide,
and what can be done through their use is truly impressive, if the
appropriate brain-power is brought in to work it all out. As you say, the
jOrgan documentation regarding their use is very basic, and much work is
needed in that area. This can be done for us only by someone who has
mastered their use, and has the time to do it.

Of course, no matter how clever jOrgan is in solving logical puzzles, its
only way of doing things in the real world is by outputting  MIDI messages,
which are sent to a decoder which itself produces electrical signals to
operate lights, solenoids or whatever. I am assuming that you know how to
get jOrgan to output such MIDI messages.

Re: Advanced disposition programming works great with a few exeptions

Julie,

Further to my recent post, the successful use of the amazing flexibility
given us in the various switching elements depends on being able to juggle
the properties which the disposition creator can assign to them, such as
normal state (on or off) and duration (and there may be others), along with
the challenge of getting the referencing right (referenced TO or FROM other
elements). Indeed, in the case of the Synchronizer, the order in which the
references are listed in the Synchronizer Properties is important. The
jOrgan Wiki entry, if followed carefully, shows the way, but it does not
draw attention to how important it is to get it right.