ASIO4ALL question

morcc
I've used JOrgan for years on XP and lately on Win7---no problem. Built
a portable instrument running JOrgan on an 8" Dell Venue tablet.  JOrgan
is working, but there seems to be intermittent latency, perhaps Windows
8.1 needs some unknown adjustment.

Tried installing ASIO4ALL.  The ASIO4ALL instructions say to access
ASIO4ALL through the application.  The JOrgan tutorial says to follow
the ASIO4 instructions.  How does one access ASIO4ALL in JOrgan? The
ASIO4ALL panel is nowhere present, so ASIO4ALL is evidently not activated.

Are there known adjustments that Windows 8.1 needs to run JOrgan properly?

Thanks,

Bill

Re: ASIO4ALL question

grahamg
Hi Bill,

If you’re using the Fluidsynth PortAudio ASIO extension, and have selected ASIO4ALL as the driver in the Fluidsynth element, then the ASIO4ALL panel will show in the task pane (bottom right section of the task bar) as a green ‘play’ icon. When you click on that icon you will see the ASIO4ALL options for your sound device.

Set the buffer size to match what you’ve configured in the jOrgan Fluidsynth element. The advanced options (click on the spanner icon to enable them) lets you add kernel buffers and other latency reducing things depending on your hardware.

However.... as ASIO4ALL is an ASIO wrapper of the WDMKS driver, you may find better performance using the Fluidsynth PortAudio WDMKS or WASAPI extensions.

Kind regards
GrahamG

On Dec 5, 2017 at 2:58 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've used JOrgan for years on XP and lately on Win7---no problem. Built

a portable instrument running JOrgan on an 8" Dell Venue tablet. JOrgan
is working, but there seems to be intermittent latency, perhaps Windows
8.1 needs some unknown adjustment.

Tried installing ASIO4ALL. The ASIO4ALL instructions say to access
ASIO4ALL through the application. The JOrgan tutorial says to follow
the ASIO4 instructions. How does one access ASIO4ALL in JOrgan? The
ASIO4ALL panel is nowhere present, so ASIO4ALL is evidently not activated.

Are there known adjustments that Windows 8.1 needs to run JOrgan properly?

Thanks,

Bill

Re: ASIO4ALL question

morcc
Hi Graham,

Thanks to you, and to all others who have responded.  I was busy with ministry duties until this PM.  Prior to that activity, had tried to install the ASIO backend according to Rick's instructions and been rebuffed when Windows 8.1 repelled my effort to add same to the JOrgan .lib file.  Having gone through much pain when recently updating another organ computer to Win 7, I suspected that Win 8 was guarding the JOrgan installation in c:\Program Files.  This PM, intending to prepare to install ASIO4ALL without opposition, I uninstalled JOrgan and re-installed it in C:\, the root directory.  A check for function, prior to the intended new attempt to install ASIO4ALL, now shows the probem to have magically disappeared. No pressing need now for ASIO4ALL unless something new crops up. May that self-serving OS, Windows, die the death.

Thanks be for this good JOrgan community.

Bill

Re: ASIO4ALL question

RoyR
  "May that self-serving OS, Windows, die the death."

   The best thing to help it on its way is Ubuntu, (Just an opinion, FWIW) which I believe is the O/S jOrgan was developed on in the first place, in the true spirit of open source software.

   It's become a lot more user-friendly over the years but still quite a learning curve for someone who has used Windows forever... Worth the effort though, after all, if this creaking 79 year old brain can cope, why shouldn't yours!   *:)) laughing

   I, and many others I believe, moved away from Ubuntu to derivatives like Mint when Ubuntu insisted on the wretched Unity desktop. I've just heard they've finally dumped it, so I'm about to give the old firm another try!

On 5 December 2017 at 20:02, William Morong <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

morcc wrote
> Are there known adjustments that Windows 8.1 needs to run JOrgan properly?

Bill, this post seems to be the one you sent on Dec 4th, and which turned up
in the Mailing List Digest. Yet it has turned up in the Nabble Forum/archive
only today. This has me mystified. I can't think of any explanation, for
other posts of yours on this topic HAVE turned up in Nabble.

Regarding your question, later posts on this topic suggest that your problem
has been solved. However, I thought I might mention something about Windows
8.1 which I discovered very recently. It may be relevant to others, even if
not to you.

I use Windows 8.1 on the small laptop I use as my VPO console computer. I
noticed recently that sometimes the CPU is running at a much slower speed
than I expected - much slower than its stated capacity. I investigated this
a little, and found it runs slow when only light demands are placed on it.
When needed because of high demands, the speed will increase to maximum.
One can imagine that the increase may be too gradual to avoid audio
problems.

Windows 8.1 allows you to control this behaviour:
Control Panel > Power Options >Advanced Settings >Processor Power Management
>Minimum processor state

I discovered that the default setting for "Minimum" was 5%! I increased that
to 100%, with no ill effects so far. Presumably the setting is to avoid
over-heating and to give longer battery usage.

Re: ASIO4ALL question

morcc
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

What you suggest sounds entirely sensible.  However, in the Dell Venue
8" tablet, most of the power options have been removed, likely by Dell,
and likely to maximize battery life.  The option that you cite is absent.

In my case, the mechanism for preventing simultaneous charging and
passing USB data through the micro-USB connector has already been
externally overridden, permitting the tablet to be powered continuously
by the organ power supply.  This being done, how long the tablet will
run on its battery is irrelevant.  However, to obtain the power
management option that you mentioned on this tablet would likely
necessitate editing the BIOS.  Whether this becomes worth the effort
might depend on how many additional hurdles Dell throws at me as I try
to use this computer in the way that I wish.

Bill