AP Tuner

I have previously used Tuneit! with Windows XP, but recently tried to used it with Windows 7, and had no success. So I searched for an alternative, and before long found AP Tuner.

What I need is a tuner program that will tell me the pitch of a sound file I play in Audacity. I certainly got AP Tuner to work on my WIndows 7 laptop, but only by connecting the microphone I/T to the headphone O/T using a standard audio cable. (Perhaps if I had tried Tuneit! the same way, it would have worked - but I'm pleased that I didn't, because this would not have led me to discover AP Tuner).

A GREAT advantage of AP Tuner is that it provides a graphical indication of the pitch over time. Thus if a note is 5 seconds long, you can see how the pitch varies instantaneously over that period. You can even choose which harmonic you want to see highlighted. It is very easy to estimate the average pitch over time, to an accuracy of plus or minus one tenth of a cent! So it eliminates all the guesswork involved when trying to catch the average pitch from watching a numerical display which is rapidly changing. What is also convenient, is a display at the left of the display window indicating the level of the sound being analyzed, with an immediate indication of whether AP Tuner needs a slightly higher level.

AP Tuner is shareware, and one can use it indefinitely, with its full resources, without sending in a donation, but members of the jOrgan community would not be that mean-spirited, would we?

John R

Re: AP Tuner

Dries
Hi John,

Also installed AP tuner on my windows7 64 bits computer.
And was able, when using stereomix, directly analyse the pitch of a wav file.
Without using external cables between headphone/microphone connectors.

BR, Dries
Dries Nelemans - Ridderkerk, The Netherlands