ANN.: New jOrgan VPO - the SYDNEY SCHUKE

ANN.: New jOrgan VPO - the SYDNEY SCHUKE

I am very pleased to announce the release of my latest (and possibly last)
VPO for jOrgan. Earlier in the year I mentioned a modern German neo-baroque
pipe organ in Sydney which I planned to record. This was done in August, and
I have been very busy processing the samples and doing all the other work
needed to complete the VPO. This represents a long-held ambition to
reproduce the sound of this type of organ, and the presence of this
particular instrument in my own city was a great boon.

This 17 rank tracker organ was built for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
the Sydney Central Business District by the Berlin firm of Karl Schuke, and
installed in 1980. I did hear the organ back about that time, but had no
recollection of its sound. I was very surprised when doing the recording to
find that most ranks were voiced very mildly, which actually is
understandable given the small size of the church building. Only the
mixtures were overpowering. The articulation is excellent, with obvious but
not over-done chiffs. This VPO has now become my favourite.

The organ is well documented on the website of the Organ Music Society of
Sydney. Here is the link:
http://www.sydneyorgan.com/GermanLutheran.html

I have made sure that the relative levels of the stops corresponds to the
average level in the middle octave of each stop, with two exceptions: I have
lowered the Great Mixtur IV by 4 dB (I found it quite excessive at the
console), and have raised the Pedal Subbass 16' by 10 dB (I found it very
soft at the console). The latter stop has independent volume control in the
Settings, so it can be easily adjusted to suit any taste. As in the KOGARAH
TWO soundfont (I think that’s right), I have included within the Subbass
samples a spare pair of samples with high 3rd Harmonic content, which can be
used for the bottom notes of the 16' if the user so desires, and is able to
edit the soundfont, for those situations where the subwoofer plus the room
is failing to do justice to those bottom notes. Most of the stops employ
dual samples, in accordance with my preferred method, allowing a measure of
individual note voicing by the user. There are 6 pairs of samples per
octave, in those instances, otherwise 6 samples per octave where dual
samples have not been used.

The 211 MB zip file can be downloaded from Dropbox using this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4gcy6p3whypcddh/SYDNEY_SCHUKE_j320_FS.zip?dl=0

Reports of problems and any comments are welcome.

Re: ANN.: New jOrgan VPO - the SYDNEY SCHUKE

free-vpo
Hi John
The sounds of this organ are indeed realistic and enjoyable. A technical
remark however: the transposition is not effective for "octave 4" in "great"
because I think it lacks the "switch-filters" transposition in the
references of the rank "octave 4".

Re: ANN.: New jOrgan VPO - the SYDNEY SCHUKE

free-vpo,

Many thanks. I'll remedy that, after a brief wait to see if any other
problems are unearthed. I've already thought of one matter I'd like to add
to the INSTRUCTIONS.pdf which is in the zip download.

Re: ANN.: New jOrgan VPO - the SYDNEY SCHUKE

John Reimer wrote
> free-vpo,
>
> Many thanks. I'll remedy that, after a brief wait

I have put in the missing references. The problem was also in the KOGARAH
and KOGARAH, but is fixed there also.

I have recorded a 21 MB .wav file to demonstrate the lovely sounds of the
SYDNEY SCHUKE. We hear the Great Principal 8 and Swell Gedact 8, along with
the Pedal Subbass 16 coupled to the Great. The reverb is Hibiki (using the
Hibiki Hall default preset) with a moderate amount of wetness.
The link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/fa0al7qr4rzyrd0/Postlude.wav?dl=0