ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

12

ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

I am very pleased to release my latest jOrgan VPO, called “LITTLE BAY”, which is the name of the Sydney suburb where it is located. This VPO was promised some months ago, in the release of the “SNEAK PREVIEW”, which used three of its ranks. Since then I have recorded the two mutation ranks (a quint and a tierce, both tuned “perfect”) and made up the samples. Recording was done with the microphone close to the instrument, which is a five-rank extension house organ with direct-electric action.

The amateur builder obtained the pipe ranks and the very quiet blower from various sources, with the result that the wind pressure is probably a little higher than what some of the ranks were voiced for. That may be the reason the main ranks are quite “breathy” in tone. One outcome for this VPO is that it freed me to make the Prinzipal and Gedackt ranks fairly close in volume, and so the various stops combine very well.

All the notes except those of very high pitch use “double samples”, which is now my preferred method. Although this produces a slightly larger soundfont, it has the advantage that individual notes can be revoiced somewhat to suit your loudspeakers and room characteristics. To do this you need to be familiar with a soundfont editor program such as Viena or Polyphone.

Here is a link to the Organ Details and Photo.pdf which I have placed separately in Dropbox, although it is also included in the main zip download file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67344903/Organ%20Details%20and%20Photo.pdf

And here is the link to the main zip file, which is about 95 MB in size:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67344903/LITTLE_BAY_j320_FS.zip

Please advise me of any problems you find. Also, I would be grateful to hear your opinions about the sound. I am sure that I am not the only creator of jOrgan VPO’s who would find this type of feedback helpful.

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

greenfox
Hi John

Thank you for this Little Bay jOrgan disposition.

I am happy to report that I have had a quick look so far.  It seems to work exactly as expected direct from the download without the need to fiddle with configuration.
It sounds lovely. It is a real credit to you and your many hours of work.

I look forward to delving deeper into it when I have more time.

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 at 14:47 John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your post. I haven't replied till now, because I’ve waited to see if there would be others. So far nothing. I think the lack of any feedback other than your own is a serious indication that all is not well with jOrgan. In my opinion jOrgan is superior (for my purposes) than any of the alternatives. I know you have misgivings about the difficulty for people less able with computers to make jOrgan work effectively, but having set up a friend who is a Luddite with computers so that he has a very good VPO setup, I do think that very few such people would be without friends, family members or neighbours who have the knowledge to get them going and keep them going.

My passion for jOrgan is that it allows people to make inspiring sounds and music of the highest quality using minimal resources, and with what I can only describe as technical elegance, because of the soundfont protocol, with which “non-organ” musicians appear to be reasonably satisfied. There is also the excellent GUI resources which jOrgan has. I am pained at the lack of enthusiasm apparent in the Forum, and at the loss over the years of excellent people who have moved to GO or to HW or have lost interest. I am strongly of the opinion that this obsession with release samples is a huge mistake, yet both GO and HW require their use. I see any obvious sounds at note-off as a musical distraction, and I think that any professional organ builder would try to reduce them as much as possible. Getting release samples to attach satisfactorily to the looped section is a serious technical problem,  and I have yet to see this acknowledged on the jOrgan and GO forums (I never consult the HW Forums). If you like to wade through Colin Pykett’s article on his website, where he compares wet and dry samples, you will see what I am getting at.

The loss of Sven Meier’s genius is a serious blow, and regrettably Jonathan has given us no reason yet, to be confident of him as a replacement. For once, my hopes about the future of jOrgan are being seriously threatened.

In the meantime I press on with making samples from recordings, a time-consuming but satisfying process. I am now hearing sounds from “organ substitutes” which I have waited 60 years to hear. Most of my organ playing over the years has been at small tracker organs, and that means hearing details in the sound which are not heard when listening at a distance. At last I am being satisfied, although certainly such sounds will not be to everyone’s liking.

Best wishes,

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

Paul Kealy
Thank you, thank you, thank you our antipodean friend John for your steadfast support for the King of Instruments. You have breathed new hope in to this poor ol' bod.

The recent j-organ kerfuffle aas affectd  me deeply.

As a strong adherent to the Miditzer as a means to reach our indifferent musical world to embrace the organ seriously, I have flexed beyond my own personal knowledge / resources to raise a reliable witness here in my corner of the kingdom that came to a crashing halt to the work that had been going well, having consumed a huge part of my life.

I have been responsible for bringing many people to the theatre sounds of the simple MidiTzer and worked really hard to push to establish the three manual 20-rank version that I was told to butt-out, since it would never happen, violating the software ease based on the last remaining 216 pipe organ installation in its original location on Planet Earth, located here in my home town.

Fortunately, my persistence paid off and the 3-manual version was created and many have downloaded the software and are experiencing the heights attainable by those who install the powerful sounds on their own computers to perform music that MIDI computerization allows.

I created the StentorVox dot com website to help promote the potential of the organ as I pursued my dream.

I began a restoration of our local Wurli 216 pipe organ and a touring replica to help promote it. When management fell apart (I am no credible organist or organ builder and those who manage groups aren't always as reliable as they should be). My passion for organ developed too late in my life to be a serious contender. When our city went bankrupt I began a museum of my own, collecting instruments (I have amassed some wonderful instruments and displays) and created a system that play 16 separate speaker cabs from my MIDI organ console and was working on four ranks of winded pipes to augment the fantastic sound. Since my day job includes managing conventions, I began a convention for an organbuilder at Bakersfield, CA who owned the Granada theatre with its pipe organ and things were going well, then he died.

I sought to create a new instrument of my own that exceeded the original idea of MidiTzer and settled on j-Organ and PCBs wired from MidiBox components and all was going well as I created a configurable 5-manual cinema and a 3-manual classic organ when j-Organ crashed. Pity.

I could go back to restoring motorcycles, but the pull from the organ is compelling me somewhat again, and your posting is almost drawing me back to give it the benefit of a doubt before dumping 1200 square foot museum of organ stuff.

I have visited many fantastic instruments from the Wanamakers and West Point to San Sylmar, and got a set of soundfonts of that instrument on the Internet, but am more interested in creating my own software that requires j-Organ and my MidiBox components that seemed so well suited to serve my needs a year or so ago.

Although for years I taught workshop seminars on G MIDI the idea of mixing soundfonts and combining them from a console giving me the same thrill I enjoyed as a child at Lorin Whitney's studio Robert Morton literally blew me away (I owned and operated a recording studio with a background as conductor, not organist - I conducted organists as just another instrumentalist - with just enough keyboard skills to get me thru basic keyboard, mixing orchestral - G-MIDI tracks, but using tabs or drawbars on an organ console to layer sounds was an awesome advance to me.

To create an organ design of my own J-Organ became my de-facto standard, so I am working on three consoles and several computers using several touch screens and literally dozens of speaker cabs awaiting me to do something significant with j-Organ and then it bombed about the time I lost a good relationship with an Internet friend upon whom I leaned, then two other organists I worked with died.

So although I am on the verge of tossing my years of passion for MIDI organ due to the failure of j-organ, your posting gives me some measure of hope.

pk
StentorVox.com

Friday, February 3, 2017 3:53 PM John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>
[...]

jbeach2646
Since it was first released, I have used jOrgan 3.20 amd64, without any problems.  Recently, I have used John R’s Little Bay organ to play some of the included midi files.  I have a Windows 10 64-bit operating system installed and I do use the fluidsynth portaudio x64.dll  backend which Bernd wrote a couple of years ago.  With larger dispositions, I output from both the onboard Realtek sound and a Creative Labs X-fi soundcard.   I have one home-made disposition which has seven instances of Fluidsynth Sound and seven, separate soundfonts.   I make soundfonts by organ-tone family, with separate soundfonts for flutes, diapasons, mixtures, reeds and strings.   I output diapasons, mixtures and strings from one soundcard to one set of stereo speakers, and I output flutes and reeds from the other soundcard to another set of stereo speakers.   Given the size of this disposition, I think that any flaws in jOrgan’s capability and effectiveness would be more likely to be evidenced than in some of the smaller dispositions which others on this forum have made available over the years.  However, I have never had a problem with either the huge Wanamaker, European Organ of Alex Patavina, or with any of Paul Stratman’s larger VPOs, the ACO, for example.   I find that the buffer settings for jOrgan in both my work PC and my organ console PC (both Win 10, 64-bit) are consistently higher than what most people have set them as “default” with the download of a disposition.   On John R’s Little Bay, for example, the “Audio Buffers” is set to “8” and the Size is set to “1536”.
This is the same setting which I use for my own home-made dispositions.  At this setting, I have no latency, no delay, no breakup of sound and very smooth playback, whether using midi files or playing the organ console, myself.

Without knowing the specifics of the operating systems and hardware configurations of others who may be experiencing problems with jOrgan, it is hard to know what might be a problem or how to correct it.   My thought is that I don’t think it is a problem with jOrgan, itself, since, if it were, it ought to be experienced by more than one individual and we would probably have had a lot of discussion to identify the nature of the problem and how to correct it.   We haven’t, so I think it is, more than likely, a system-unique or isolated problem rather than some flaw in jOrgan.   Being sure of which Java and jOrgan bit version is used has been an issue in the past, whether 64 or 32 bit and, especially, if both Java versions are installed on a single PC.  The two must not be mixed and the Fluidsynth extensions must not be mixed.

Rather than looking to Jonathan (who has been very silent for weeks), I think those who are experiencing problems should describe the nature of the problems they experience with jOrgan, the details of their systems and which versions of Java and jOrgan they are using.   Together, we should be able to find solutions to problems.

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

Hi John and Paul

jOrgan is to virtual organs what Word is to document writing.

No one can take away what we have. What we have is an amazing tool that can go on as the flexible framework used to create new and exciting organs.

Everything I have tried to do with jOrgan works and continues to work reliably.

After April the real Christie will be in its best voice ever and I am keen to record samples. I will then need serious help to create a soundfile.

al

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

al
Rick,

When you are ready to create sound files, let me know...  (pipes1@yahoo.com)

Al

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

Bill Skees
Hi John R., I am looking forward to trying your new Little Bay disposition and remain a devoted fan of jOrgan. Right now we are living in a small apartment and my Midi-fied Rodgers 340 jOrgan platform is in storage. Meanwhile I continue to download new dispositions in the hope that I will be experiencing them soon. Keep up the good work.
Bill

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

Pete Theisen
In STORAGE? Make room for it! Put your sofa on ebay, LOL . . .

On 02/04/2017 04:54 PM, Bill Skees wrote:
> Hi John R., I am looking forward to trying your new Little Bay disposition
> and remain a devoted fan of jOrgan. Right now we are living in a small
> apartment and my Midi-fied Rodgers 340 jOrgan platform is in storage.
> Meanwhile I continue to download new dispositions in the hope that I will be
> experiencing them soon. Keep up the good work.
> Bill

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

Thank you to those who have posted replies. Although may I courteously point out that what prompted my heartfelt post still has not been addressed (apart from Rick’s brief remark). What do you think of the QUALITY of the sound - and I don’t necessarily mean the breathiness so much, but rather the faithfulness of the method to bring us very pipe-like sounds.

Paul, it is always great to discover kindred souls. What has driven me over the years has been what for me is the great VALUE in the sounds and music from organs, which have the ability to move us deeply. And I want to share that experience, even if in the nature of things, musical inspiration is not what everyone is open to. Please take Rick’s words seriously. jOrgan as a present deliverer of great organ sounds is not in doubt in any way. The only real loss at the moment would be if the Forum were to become inaccessible, and I am not aware of any likelihood of that happening. But my concerns are really to do with the far-off future. We do need to keep abreast of developments in the computer world, and we need to become more serious about publicizing jOrgan and making it easier for people to use.

Two pressing needs, as far as I am concerned, is to set up an attractive website, and to make jOrgan usable on recent Mac computers. Another need is to make sure that our data backup scheme is watertight.  I would love to see a Project Team set up, so that people with the appropriate skills can work together to develop jOrgan in these and other ways. My own abilities certainly do not extend to either of the first two matters I have mentioned, but surely there are other jOrgan enthusiasts with the skills, and who are prepared to step up. Please post here or email me if you would like to be part of such a team.

Rick, I am working through the samples for yet another VPO at the moment, but I should be in a position to give a hand with sample-making later in the year. I hope that it will be possible to record the sounds fairly close-up, because I think this is the best way to reduce the problems caused by ambient noise.

Bill, I do hope that you can be back playing music on your VPO set-up very soon.

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

morcc
Hello John,

It took a few days to get time to load this organ, but the result is
most gratifying.

It is a very nice disposition

Thanks,

Bill

On 01/29/2017 11:44 PM, John Reimer wrote:

> I am very pleased to release my latest jOrgan VPO, called “LITTLE BAY”, which
> is the name of the Sydney suburb where it is located. This VPO was promised
> some months ago, in the release of the “SNEAK PREVIEW”, which used three of
> its ranks. Since then I have recorded the two mutation ranks (a quint and a
> tierce, both tuned “perfect”) and made up the samples. Recording was done
> with the microphone close to the instrument, which is a five-rank extension
> house organ with direct-electric action.
>
> The amateur builder obtained the pipe ranks and the very quiet blower from
> various sources, with the result that the wind pressure is probably a little
> higher than what some of the ranks were voiced for. That may be the reason
> the main ranks are quite “breathy” in tone. One outcome for this VPO is that
> it freed me to make the Prinzipal and Gedackt ranks fairly close in volume,
> and so the various stops combine very well.
>
> All the notes except those of very high pitch use “double samples”, which is
> now my preferred method. Although this produces a slightly larger soundfont,
> it has the advantage that individual notes can be revoiced somewhat to suit
> your loudspeakers and room characteristics. To do this you need to be
> familiar with a soundfont editor program such as Viena or Polyphone.
>
> Here is a link to the Organ Details and Photo.pdf which I have placed
> separately in Dropbox, although it is also included in the main zip download
> file:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67344903/Organ%20Details%20and%20Photo.pdf
>
> And here is the link to the main zip file, which is about 95 MB in size:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67344903/LITTLE_BAY_j320_FS.zip
>
> Please advise me of any problems you find. Also, I would be grateful to hear
> your opinions about the sound. I am sure that I am not the only creator of
> jOrgan VPO’s who would find this type of feedback helpful.
>
> John Reimer

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

JohnDubery
John,

Thank you for this sweet little organ.

Regarding the sound - I think it is a very convincing impersonation of a pipe
instrument. I think it your best so far (displacing Earlwood 4 in my view).
(NB - my best speakers are currently unavailable, tried it with what is to hand.)

John

p.s. I also appreciate feedback on dispositions I make.

    [jOrgan-user] ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 11:44 PM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for sharing; really nice work! To rope in some conversation in a separate thread, the releases on the reed stops sound unconvincing. I'm excited by the attack and body of the reeds, but the release sounds like the volume is faded down rather than what reeds actually do when the wind stops. (I wouldn't know how to describe that without the other John putting it into words for me.) I put together a recording with four exemplars: two from this Little Bay organ, and two of my favorite reeds from the Jeux soundfont. Most of the recording is excellent, but the releases from the Little Bay VPO leave something to be desired in my opinion.

For reference:
the first recording is Cor Angles from Jeux
the second recording is Cromorne from Little Bay
the third recording, the Great Trumpet from Little Bay
and the fourth recording: krummhorn from Jeux

I have one objection to the flue pipes as well which I will articulate later.

Thanks again for this work; really fine. I have one request: would you please play a few examples on the organ and record them for us if at all possible? I would prefer something like my recording: simple, one or two stops, not too much polyphony, plain, so we can hear the quality of the stops. That would be tremendous!

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

Rick, Bill, John D, Aaron,

Thank you all for your remarks. Feedback indicates to the VPO creator that there is some interest. It tells us what may need improving, and what people prefer. It is also an encouragement, and an incentive to make more VPO’s.

Aaron,
Re the releases, I suspect that what you are hearing is the small amount of reverberation which has been set up in the Fluidsynth reverb parameters. It is very easy to turn it off. Click on the “Settings” tab near the top of the screen in Play mode, and you will find the Fluidsynth setting controls at the top left. Using the mouse, move the Level slider to the left, from “0.11” to “0”, and you will be able to hear the the normal releases of the notes. By the way, there are no reed stops in the Little Bay VPO.

Re making some recordings, I haven’t had success in the past trying to do this at my console computer, but I’ll have another try. It may mean I have to use the Fluidsynth reverb as is, instead of the much better VST reverb I normally use.

Where can we access the recordings you have made?

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

Aaron Laws
On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 6:44 PM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

No reed stops!? Eek; perhaps I have the wrong organ! I'll do more research.

The recording I would like from you would be at the actual organ with bellows and pipes :-)

I see my recording didn't make it; I'll make it available soon.

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 9:19 PM, Aaron Laws <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Indeed, I had the wrong organ entirely! I was sorely disappointed with what I thought was your work. Now that I have found the correct organ, I am very impressed! At first blush, the sound is quite nice, and recording highly detailed. I'll need more time to come up with my amateur critical review, but I'm happy so far!

Oh yeah, I don't plan on making that recording available anymore since it is apropos nothing.

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

Aaron Laws wrote
I don't plan on making that recording available anymore
Aaron,

Thank you for your remarks, now that we know which organ it is referring to.   :-)

However, I did take note of your request for a recording from me, but it didn't occur to me that you meant the original pipe organ. I recorded three short pieces on the VPO, each demonstrating either the Prinzipal 8, Gedact 8 or the Flote 4. Here is the link to the zip file, which is about 15 MB in size:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67344903/Recordings.zip

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

Aaron Laws
On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aaron Laws wrote
> I don't plan on making that recording available anymore

Aaron,

Thank you for your remarks, now that we know which organ it is referring to.
:-)

However, I did take note of your request for a recording from me, but it
didn't occur to me that you meant the original pipe organ. I recorded three
short pieces on the VPO, each demonstrating either the Prinzipal 8, Gedact 8
or the Flote 4. Here is the link to the zip file, which is about 15 MB in
size:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67344903/Recordings.zip

John Reimer

Beautiful recordings! This organ does have one reed stop in the pedal, right? I haven't quite figured out how the posaune would even be used in this organ :-). I spent some time with it last night, and agree with everything you've said about it. The breathiness comes through marvelously, as evinced by your recordings. The noise gets to be pretty great when combining stops, but I'm guessing it's only a little more noisy than the original organ. The volume controls on the Settings page are an helpful addition, too. I saw the image in the included pdf; is that the room in which you recorded the instrument? That room looks extremely dry with lots of cloth, carpet, etc. Thank you for your work!

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

Aaron,

Thank you. I'm pleased that you like it. Why make VPO's, if playing them does not give us pleasure? When listening to the pipe organ in its present location, I am very conscious of the wind noise in the pipes. If anything, I have moderated it slightly in the samples. But I miss that sound in VPO's  if it is not to be heard at all. The pipe organ I learnt on was a small tracker, where the player is very close to the pipes. And ever since that time, most of my playing has been on small trackers.

The pipe organ was not functioning in the room where the the photo was taken. Remember that the 16' pedal reed in the real instrument is actually produced by analogue electronics, along with the Prinzipalbass 8'. In the VPO I used samples of pipe ranks for those stops. Same applies to the bottom octave of the manuals Principal 8' rank.

The recordings were made using Audacity on my console computer, and not a microphone.. So I was restricted to using the modest Fluidsynth reverberation settings rather than my preferred VST reverb plug-in.

Re: ANN: LITTLE BAY - a new VPO for jOrgan

BrianS
John,

This organ sounds beautiful.  I have chosen it as my first project, to split it running over more than one computer.  Thanks to Graham Goode, it is already running on two seperate Raspberry Pi computer.  We have moved the Positiv to a different computer, so the Pedal and Hauptwerk are on one computer, and the Positiv is on a 2'nd computer.

My plan is to further slit it up, into four Raspberry Pi's.

I wish you had some Raspberry Pi's, so that you could also use it this way.

12