Quantcast

ANN: KOGARAH - a new VPO for jOrgan

I am very pleased to release to the jOrgan community a new VPO based on the pipe organ at St Paul’s Anglican Church, Kogarah, New South Wales. This nine-stop tracker pipe organ is fully documented, with photographs by Trevor Bunning, on the website of the Sydney Organ Music Society. The link is:
http://www.sydneyorgan.com/KogarahAng.html

The organ has a surprising connection to the pipe organ at St Matthew’s Anglican Church, West Pennant Hills (on which an earlier VPO was based)), given that the two churches, although both in suburban Sydney, are separated widely both in terms of geography and church tradition. In the late 1960‘s I had a brief play on the organ that was in the Kogarah church at the time, and was very pleased with the sound of some of its stops. Shortly afterwards, the organ was deemed unrepairable (nothing to do with the fact that I had played it!), and the best of its stops were used in the organ being built for the church at West Pennant Hills. The present pipe organ made by Peter Conacher of Huddersffield, England, was imported and installed at Kogarah about the same time. I would never have known of the West Pennant Hills organ but for the fact that my very good friend Dr Graeme Rawson had designed its specification and had assisted in its construction. I am familiar with the Conacher organ at Kogarah because recently I was playing there for a monthly evening service. It is not far from where I live.

When recording every second note of every stop, I had the microphone much closer to the pipes than was the case with my previous organ recording sessions. I believe that this has paid dividends, and I am very pleased with the quality of the sounds.

In the Kogarah VPO I have added to the Swell a Tremulant stop (actually a Vibrato, achieved by means of the soundfont parameters) along with the Octave, Suboctave and Unison Off couplers. Typical of its period, the organ is lacking in upperwork, and an extended version is planned which will remedy that as well as supply some other additional stops. As an optional extra, I have added to the original soundfont two special Pedal Bourdon 16’ samples with a high 3rd Harmonic content, which could be helpful to users who are able to use a soundfont editor. These are found in an extra “store” split 34 in each of the Ped_Bourdon Instruments, and are meant to replace the allocated samples for the lowest notes, in installations where because of the poor loudspeaker response or the small size of the room, a resultant effect gives a better result than the allocated samples. For this to occur, a robust 8’ stop should be used along with the Pedal Bourdon 16’. In the case of the Swell Oboe 8' stop, I have made no attempt to use release samples, and instead chose to synthesize reed note-off transients by making the release times very short.

Some details in the jOrgan disposition make use of work done by Paul Stratman and Dries Nelemans, and their work is gratefully acknowledged, along with that of Sven Meier, the creator of jOrgan. I am also grateful for the generous permission of Trevor Bunning of Canberra to use his photograph of the Builder’s Nameplate in the console view.

This jOrgan disposition/soundfont is made available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Licence.

The 138 MB zip file can be down loaded here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6eqkor79f2h27o/KOGARAH_j320_FS.zip?dl=0

Any comments and reports of problems would be welcome.

Re: ANN: KOGARAH - a new VPO for jOrgan

JacLevy
Excellent !
Thank you so much
Jacques

Le 12/04/2017 à 03:11, John Reimer a écrit :

> [...]
> case of the Swell Oboe 8' stop, I have made no attempt to use release
> samples, and instead chose to synthesize reed note-off transients by making
> the release times very short.
>
> Some details in the jOrgan disposition make use of work done by Paul
> Stratman and Dries Nelemans, and their work is gratefully acknowledged,
> along with that of Sven Meier, the creator of jOrgan. I am also grateful for
> the generous permission of Trevor Bunning of Canberra to use his photograph
> of the Builder’s Nameplate in the console view.
>
> This jOrgan disposition/soundfont is made available under the terms of the
> Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Licence.
>
> The 138 MB zip file can be down loaded here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6eqkor79f2h27o/KOGARAH_j320_FS.zip?dl=0
>
> Any comments and reports of problems would be welcome.

---

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 9:11 PM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I eagerly look forward to giving this a go! I recently rewired my organ and am working through some difficulties: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/298887 so it doesn't work right now.

Thank you for your work!

Re: ANN: KOGARAH - a new VPO for jOrgan

BrianS
I hope you get your organ sorted soon Aaron.

Re: ANN: KOGARAH - a new VPO for jOrgan

Jacques,
Thank you for your remarks.

Aaron,
I’m pleased that you wish to try it out, and are not put off by its small size or its lack of upperwork. This VPO is of course a true attempt to “reproduce” an actual pipe organ rather than an imagined one. My wife and I attended a Good Friday service in that church a few days ago, and I can assure you that the organ is totally adequate for its use there. I do however intend to make an extended version before long, and have just finished making samples for two of the three stops I recorded at another Sydney pipe organ earlier this year, and which I plan to use in the extended version.

Re: ANN: KOGARAH - a new VPO for jOrgan

Chris P
Hi, John

What a small world we live in!

I haven't had time, as yet, to appreciate your VPO. But the reason I make the opening statement is the fact it's another Conacher. The organ I sampled a few years ago was also a Conacher, also built in my home town of Huddersfield. The fact that it had been in a General Sunday School at Holthead, erected 1840, which I can almost see from here got me further intrigued, primarily because I didn't have any knowledge of it. After enlisting help, an older family member, I have established the location of the school  which is now a private house.
Google Earth co-ordinates 53° 36' 17.42"N, 1° 52' 45.23"W should get you outside the front door.

Chris Pearson
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: ANN: KOGARAH - a new VPO for jOrgan

Hi Chris,