A Raspberry Pi alternative from ASUS

jOrgan users who are attracted to the Raspberry Pi but are concerned about
only  1GB of RAM may find ASUS’ new “Tinker Board” of interest. It was
released early this year as a direct competitor to the Pi, but offers 2 GB
of RAM and faster performance overall. With its release only a few months
ago, lack of support and of associated software remains a sticking point,
but that could well change in time.

Re: A Raspberry Pi alternative from ASUS

drwilx
Hi John,

Sounds great. Now all I have to do is learn how to program it.

Regards,

Dennis

Re: A Raspberry Pi alternative from ASUS

drwilx wrote
> Now all I have to do is learn how to program it.

Hi Dennis,

Yes, that would be my problem too. Also, I would wait till I saw some report
on how good its sound is (there is a 3.5 mm. audio input/output socket). But
I’m too busy working on samples for a new VPO to even think about it at the
moment. I am happy to wait for a while.

Re: A Raspberry Pi alternative from ASUS

John Reimer wrote
> I would wait till I saw some report on how good its sound is

A quick Google search has shown me that there are indeed issues with audio
which need to be cleared up before Tinker Board can be regarded as a genuine
alternative to RPi for VPO use. My feeling is that one should wait a bit
before spending the money, unless of course one wants to “tinker” and has
the time and the knowledge to do this profitably.