A Gift from Panos Ghekas

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A Gift from Panos Ghekas

Dr Mark Bugeja MD
This post was updated on .
Hi friends,

I am sure that you have not forgotten our dear Panos who passed away 3 months ago.

Well, shortly before he fell ill, Panos had sent me a copy of his favourite German Baroque Organ in its second, beta version to try out. A few weeks ago I wrote to his wife, Maria, and requested her consent to share the organ with you as Panos' would have wished. Maria was delighted that I wanted to do so and she gave her approval.

Well what better time is there than Christmas to share this disposition with you? So here it is. There may be flaws or issues yet to come to light. Panos is no longer here to help us solve but I am sure many on this forum will be able to fill in for him should the need arise.

GERMAN BAROQUE ORGAN v2 by Panos Ghekas

Best wishes to all. May you and your loved ones have a blessed Christmas and a healthy 2016.

Mark
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A Gift from Panos Ghekas

Brian Sweetnam
Thank you Mark.

Regards,
Brian.

On 15 December 2015 at 17:49, Dr Mark Bugeja MD [via jOrgan] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi friends,

I am sure that you have not forgotten our dear Panos who passed away 3 months ago.

Well, shortly before he fell ill, Panos had sent me a copy of his favourite German Baroque Organ in its second, beta version to try out. A few weeks ago I wrote to his wife, Maria, and requested her consent to share the organ with you as Panos' would have wished. Maria was delighted that I wanted to do so and she gave her approval.

Well what better time is there than Christmas to share this disposition with you? So here it is. There may be flaws or issues yet to come to light. Panos is no longer here to help us solve but I am sure many on this forum will be able to fill in for him should the need arise.

GERMAN BAROQUE ORGAN v2 by Panos Ghekas

Best wishes to all. May you and your loved ones have a blessed Christmas and a healthy 2016.

Mark


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/A-Gift-from-Panos-Ghekas-tp4662694.html
To start a new topic under jOrgan - User, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jOrgan - User, click here.
NAML

Regards,

BrianS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A Gift from Panos Ghekas

Sven Meier
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dr Mark Bugeja MD
Hi Mark,

many thanks for sharing Panos' work.

Best regards
Sven


On 15.12.2015 16:49, Dr Mark Bugeja MD wrote:

> Hi friends,
>
> I am sure that you have not forgotten our dear Panos who passed away 3
> months ago.
>
> Well, shortly before he fell ill, Panos had sent me a copy of his favourite
> German Baroque Organ in its second, beta version to try out. A few weeks ago
> I wrote to his wife, Maria, and requested her consent to share the organ
> with you as Panos' would have wished. Maria was delighted that I wanted to
> do so and she gave her approval.
>
> Well what better time is there than Christmas to share this disposition with
> you? So here it is. There may be flaws or issues yet to come to light. Panos
> is no longer here to help us solve but I am sure many on this forum will be
> able to fill in for him should the need arise.
>
> GERMAN BAROQUE ORGAN v2 by Panos Ghekas
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzd3L6TOba1SMlpMR2ZMTGVjQjQ/view?usp=sharing>
>
> Best wishes to all. May you and your loved ones have a blessed Christmas and
> a healthy 2016.
>
> Mark
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/A-Gift-from-Panos-Ghekas-tp4662694.html
> Sent from the jOrgan - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> jOrgan-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A Gift from Panos Ghekas

quido
In reply to this post by Dr Mark Bugeja MD
Thank you Mark,

I will try with pleasure and with a thought for Panos.

Dominique
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A Gift from Panos Ghekas

Dr Mark Bugeja MD
In reply to this post by Sven Meier
Hi Sven,

It is the least I could do for such a wonderful and altruistic person I had the privilege to get to know and work with, albeit from a distance!

The link has been updated to include a doc file with license details that undoubtedly would have been included by Panos.

Regards
Mark
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A Gift from Panos Ghekas

Dr Mark Bugeja MD
In reply to this post by Dr Mark Bugeja MD
For those who are using email posts from this list to access the organ, the new link for Panos' GBOv2 is:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzd3L6TOba1SZXB3N0FNY0NYTW8

I hope you all succeed to download it!

Mark
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A Gift from Panos Ghekas

JacLevy
This time it works !
Thank you Mark, we miss Panos so much.
Jacques


----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr Mark Bugeja MD" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 1:28 PM
Subject: Re: [jOrgan-user] A Gift from Panos Ghekas


> For those who are using email posts from this list to access the organ,
> the
> new link for Panos' GBOv2 is:
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzd3L6TOba1SZXB3N0FNY0NYTW8
>
> I hope you all succeed to download it!
>
> Mark
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/A-Gift-from-Panos-Ghekas-tp4662694p4662702.html
> Sent from the jOrgan - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> jOrgan-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A Gift from Panos Ghekas

John Reimer
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dr Mark Bugeja MD
Mark,

Thank you for making this version of the German Baroque Organ available. I have been so busy midifying the electronic organ in my local church, which I play twice a month for services, and then installing the Broadway jOrgan disposition, that I have not given it any attention until now.

I think the HW Principals are very fine sounds. I would love to know their origin, along with that of the other stops. Some of the loops are a bit shorter than one would like, leading to undulations which represent the effect of looping rather than the true sound. Also, when I had reason to examine the soundfont using Viena, I found looping tics in the upper notes of the 2‘ rank, which I did not notice when playing the disposition normally.

As shipped, the OB Tierce 1 3/5' (I forget its allocated name) was inaudible. I took that to be a fault, and that is why I examined the soundfont, but I found nothing amiss there. Nor did I find any References problem in the disposition. Finally I noticed that the user-accessible volume control for that stop was set at minimum, leading to inaudibility. That was easily remedied.  The only other problem I noticed was that for me, at least, the Recorder MIDI file loaded but had no content. I did wonder for a while what the pistons D, S, U1 and U2 were, and finally realised that they applied to the various volume controls, as Default, Set, User1 and User2.

Users may be interested to learn that the samples are stereo, and that for the main stops at least, there are six samples per octave (i.e. a stereo “pair” for each two adjacent notes). I have not examined all the stops.

John Reimer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A Gift from Panos Ghekas

Dr Mark Bugeja MD
This post was updated on .
Hello John,

I am afraid Panos had not shared any information about his GBO that I can remember so I cannot help you with the source/s of the principal ranks or any other rank for that matter.

What I can say for certain is that, right up to the end, Panos was very particular about the VPOs he created or helped to create and had this obsession to treat each wav file individually as an organ builder would treat each pipe in a real pipe organ. He had stressed on this in his last communications with me as we developed the Fontana VPO which, very regrettably for the jOrgan community, was developed with other software in mind particularly since it was to be a commercial set.

He surely must have had a collection of ranks which would have been the best of several dispositions and used them to create his very own German instrument. I notice that he even used a graphic which I created when we were doing the Balzan organ. I had joked about this but he never lived long enough to reply.

He was also in favour of many samples per octave than just 2 or 3.

I am sure he planned to record a few pieces to go along with it, but his illness and untimely death came too suddenly. He must have left several things on his "to do" list. We can help by taking upon ourselves the tasks we recognise as needing attention thereby fulfilling what he would have very likely done himself.

To prevent duplication of the work that needs to be done, I suggest that tasks to be carried out are announced on this forum. I would accept to co-ordinate things between those who are keen on lending Panos an earthly hand. I will incorporate and upload updates as they are made available. This would be the most sensible thing to do.

This set is well-worth bringing to perfection, a legacy of a learned, experienced and seasoned musician, a selfless man and above all a very dear and genuine friend.

Mark