Quantcast

1950's vintage Allen Organs available

William Bacon
Friends,

There are two Allen organs of 1950's vintage available for free if you
will arrange to pick them up in central Connecticut, USA.

They are tube-based two manual units, with full pedal board (though
not radiused) and have detached rotating speaker enclosures.

They have been occasionally used lately, though one has a bad filter
capacitor in the power supply at this point.

The consoles, keyboards, and stop tabs are all in good condition. Both
would make excellent consoles for serious j-Organ implementations.

Contact me at [hidden email] if you are seriously interested, and I
will provide pictures and other information.

Bill

Re: 1950's vintage Allen Organs available

Les Deutsch
Re: [jOrgan-user] 1950's vintage Allen Organs available Bill,

Do either of these consoles have SAMs (stop action magnets)? Allen made their own and they were very good quality. They would be worth salvaging if someone converts the organs to a touchscreen consoles.

Les

Contact me at whbacon@... if you are seriously interested, and I
will provide pictures and other information.

Bill

Re: 1950's vintage Allen Organs available

William Bacon
Re: [jOrgan-user] 1950's vintage Allen Organs available
When stops are selected, magnets indeed do the switching.

Bill

Re: 1950's vintage Allen Organs available

BrianS
Bill,

If I were there, I would have loved to take one of the consoles. but unfortunately, South Africa is much to far............

William Bacon wrote

  _____

Contact me at whbacon@snet.net if you are seriously interested, and I
will provide pictures and other information.

Bill

--------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008
30-Day
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and
focus on

William Bacon wrote:
> When stops are selected, magnets indeed do the switching.

> Do either of these consoles have SAMs (stop action magnets)?

Hi William,

Generally the term SAM refers to stops that select themselves when a
piston is pressed. Allen organs of that vintage have magnets that in
other applications or behind drawknobs are called solenoids that do
"switching" as you put it. But, not all Allen organs have SAMs.

http://www.kimberallen.8m.net/catalog.html

The second picture down is what I think he is calling SAM. Notice the
pair of blue parts behind the stop key frame. Does the organ you are
speaking of have these?

http://pete-theisen.com/
http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: 1950's vintage Allen Organs available

Les Knoll
Old Allens are a goldmine of parts! Half my console is from salvaged Allen parts.

Manuals are very durable, same goes for pedalboards. I used the pipe-organ-like pedal contacts on the pedals to drive MIDI encoders directly. No messing with optoisolators, etc. Stop actions (SAMS) are excellent, but beware......the stops are at a different angle than other manufacturers i.e. Reisner or Klann. Solution, use all Allen or do what I did, use Reisners on the horseshoe and Allens on the straight rail (I had more Reisners) If you want to power these SAMS...BE SURE AND SAVE THE ALLEN POWER SUPPLY!!!! These are costly things to replace if you inadvertently trash them like I did :-( OH, did I forget to mention swellshoes? most have built in geared pot linkages, good for creating a voltage reference for swells and crescendos. Might want to change out the pots, though. If you find an Allen with chrome toe studs, you are lucky. These are wonderful parts, and like the rest, just keep on working.

If the two organs have matching sets of manuals, get 'em both, and make a 3-4 manual. Unfortunately I never found two organs whose manuals matched, and for a while I had enough manuals laying around to make a virtual Atlantic City. hahahaha

Allen parts just keep on working, the most durable console equipment I have ever owned.

Re: 1950's vintage Allen Organs available

William Bacon
Pete,

Thanks for the pictures.

You are correct. The solenoids do the contact switching,
and there are no magnets on the drawbars themselves.

Bill

> When stops are selected, magnets indeed do the switching.

> Do either of these consoles have SAMs (stop action magnets)?

Hi William,

Generally the term SAM refers to stops that select themselves when a
piston is pressed. Allen organs of that vintage have magnets that in
other applications or behind drawknobs are called solenoids that do
"switching" as you put it. But, not all Allen organs have SAMs.

http://www.kimberallen.8m.net/catalog.html

The second picture down is what I think he is calling SAM. Notice the
pair of blue parts behind the stop key frame. Does the organ you are
speaking of have these?

http://pete-theisen.com/
http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: 1950's vintage Allen Organs available

Pete Theisen
William Bacon wrote:

> Thanks for the pictures.
>
> You are correct. The solenoids do the contact switching,
> and there are no magnets on the drawbars themselves.

Hi Bill,

Don't feel too bad, I haven't had a lot of luck getting SAMs. I do have
some buttons a friend gave me.

http://pete-theisen.com/
http://elect-pete-theisen.com/